Does anyone here take lobster by hand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I would say to make sure the hole is clear. I have been bitten twice by an eel going after lobster that backed up in the hole. I have had old timers tell me that when a lobster would back in a hole, They would stick a old cotton mop in the hole, twist it around and out would come the lobster. I don't know from expericence about this,but, I do know about being bit by an eel. It just happend this weekend, But Ill live to lobster another day.

BidAndDive.com:
Yes, I take New England lobsters by hand. I usually dive in Massachusetts and Connecticut, where nets, tickle sticks and all of that other paraphinalia are illegal...

if you live in NYC / NY State you can get a state lobster license for NY waters..Cannot take and land lobster in MASS or CT without a license from that state.

90% by hand for me. While eels are always to be reckoned with, I now hear of reports and see threads of lobsters rooming with lionfish.
What's next?

Attachments

• PC130181_edited.JPG
    PC130181_edited.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 117
usually use net and poker if its a big ledge but if i can i like to go hardcore and shuve my hand as far as i can in the hole and pull the lobsters out

It's about time they crack down on using mechanical devices to obtain lobster. As posted already "hands only" in So Cal. Using ticklers or snares is cheating IMO. In fact I believe it should be more challanging and suggest we all try using chopsticks.

Just a quick correction - In california you are allowed to use a hoop net. Of course this is not done while on scuba but most of the guys fishing off boats can use up to 5 nets I believe which are a couple of round rings that lie flat on the sand with bait in them, after the bait soaks yanks and pull up the catch. I guess if you wanted you could bait a hoop net, wait then dive down and take them by hand....

I catch by hand. Tickle sticks are for wussies. Just kidding. :D
Lobsters with over a 5" carapace are kinda rare to find around here.
That's a pretty big lobster. If I were to guess, that would probably be 8 lbs. or
more.

lostinlobsterville:
Yes, I would say to make sure the hole is clear. I have been bitten twice by an eel going after lobster that backed up in the hole. I have had old timers tell me that when a lobster would back in a hole, They would stick a old cotton mop in the hole, twist it around and out would come the lobster. I don't know from expericence about this,but, I do know about being bit by an eel. It just happend this weekend, But Ill live to lobster another day.
Spotted mostly bite and let go... green normally bite and hold on... try to avoid the green's. I take lobster by hand, but one does need to be careful what is in the hole.. big octopus can be an "issue" also.

For someone who has never been closer to a live lobster than standing next to a tank at 'The Seafood House', do they pose a threat to your hands with those large claws? I read on post that said they could take your finger off! WOW! Is that an exaggeration?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom