Does diving actually make you younger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaan

Ask me about DRYFOB
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Someone stayed in an underwater environment for 100 days at the Florida Jules Verne Lodge and came out 10 years younger Man Lives Underwater 100 Days and Emerges 10 Years Younger

While underwater, Dituri conducted research into the effects of hyperbaric pressure on the human body. He measured the length of his telomeres and his overall stem cell count and concluded that a 60% increase in deep sleep added to the reversal of his biological clock. The experiment showed a 20% growth in the lengths of his telomeres and a 1,000% growth in his body’s natural stem cell count.

I guess he concluded it was more related to his deep sleep in the small lodge with nothing much to do (but you can order pizza it seems).
This is a local Florida, undersea lodge called the Jules Verne

I'd like to believe that if he became 10 years younger after 100 days, I'd be adding a day to my lifespan after every 1hour dive!! MORE diving please !!

How do I book my week? Ha ha ha! Do you get even MORE younger if you dive nitrox? :wink:

I don’t know about getting younger, but I firmly believe that time spend underwater is NOT deducted from one’s lifespan. Now having said out loud something that the voices in my head tell me all the time, I am willing to consider such thoughts are the results of spending too much time underwater annoying fish.

Don't the higher oxygen partial pressures cause you to rust out faster?

If the "free radicals" theory of aging has anything to do with it: the opposite. But at 7 msw the effect is likely negligible.

If the "free radicals" theory of aging has anything to do with it: the opposite. But at 7 msw the effect is likely negligible.
Wait! I no longer have to eat kale and blueberries after a dive??!!

rx7diver

Wait! I no longer have to eat kale and blueberries after a dive??!!

Having never eaten kale after a dive, I could not possibly comment. I can, however, recommend resveratrol in its pinot noir form.

Having never eaten kale after a dive, I could not possibly comment. I can, however, recommend resveratrol in its pinot noir form.
And no asparagus before diving please

I think I will just have to keep diving and hope to live a long time to do more diving :)

Not sure who here said it first but:
Your don’t stop diving when you get old. You get old when you stop diving!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom