• Makes me less tired than air.

Votes: 120 51.5%
  • Makes me more energetic than air.

Votes: 20 8.6%
  • Makes me feel worse than air.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie59:
Does anyone start a post like that unless they want to start something? Now I am miffed!
I just did. Sorry if you are offended. Perhaps you have some 36% lying around. It will make you feel better.

Charlie59:
Did you just ask that?
yes, and aside from the wise crack, I still don't see an answer.

howarde:
yes, and aside from the wise crack, I still don't see an answer.
Keep him honest Howard, I have to take off. I will talk with you later tonight at the secret spot.:D

OMG... Now it is 30 for nitrox, and 29 against. Are we suggesting that the nitrox label has a placebo effect that great??

I am going to put a sticker on my air tank - is that legal??

fisherdvm:
OMG... Now it is 30 for nitrox, and 29 against. Are we suggesting that the nitrox label has a placebo effect that great??
:confused::confused:It is?

Oh, come on. Sure you can quantify a sense or feeling. For your sick example, most people would say that sex on a scale of one to ten carries between an 8 to 10 (depending on spouse vs. "special friend"). Few who enjoy sex would rate less than 6. You might have to test your method, but you can quantify most stuff.

The power comes in double blinding the study so no one can tell which gas is used and if the effect is real or imagined. How so?

Take divers, give air or nitrox, multiple days and even multiple dives. Ask on scale of 1-10 how tired are you after each dive. Compile data and apply statistics. Yep, real rocket science.

fisherdvm:

I am going to put a sticker on my air tank - is that legal??
you won't get arrested.

Charlie59:
Oh, come on. Sure you can quantify a sense or feeling. For your sick example, most people would say that sex on a scale of one to ten carries between an 8 to 10 (depending on spouse vs. "special friend"). Few who enjoy sex would rate less than 6. You might have to test your method, but you can quantify most stuff.

The power comes in double blinding the study so no one can tell which gas is used and if the effect is real or imagined. How so?

Take divers, give air or nitrox, multiple days and even multiple dives. Ask on scale of 1-10 how tired are you after each dive. Compile data and apply statistics. Yep, real rocket science.
Then why are there no studies with empirical data? Which is what EVERYONE screams when people say, "there is no scientific proof that nitrox makes you feel better"

I've gleaned over the medline search on this topic, the only study noted no statistical difference was on only 11 subjects!!!!

Not to say that this can not be a pilot study... But a good dive shop can exceed the sample size here in less than 1 day!!

I find it incredulous that we are blowing off the subjective feelings of nearly 30 members of scubaboard, because of a double blinded study relying on only 11 subjects.

This would be a relatively easy study to be done by almost any dive shops... The catch is you would have to paint your nitrox tanks and not let your subject know what he/she diving with. And of course, have their dive computers set to nitrox (to restrict their depth), and have them follow conservative dive table for air.

Then randomize the tanks, and get a "subjective" rating after the dive.

When are we going to repeat this study??

Oh, I forgot, your don't need to paint your nitrox tank. Just use them with air in some and nitrox in others....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom