Don't Eat The Mussels.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelphelper:
I wonder if anyone that reads this board (besides Dr. Bill, apprarently) would actually eat mussels?? Really Bill?

Scallops?? Absolutely.... they're one of my FAVORITES!!!

Mussels are GREAT!! esp in a marinara sauce.... Course I am italian so I eat mussels (in the shell) in a marinara sauce with pasta... its awesome... I tend to eat them regardless of the warning... :11:

ok, can someone pls explain this to us non-experts ... so with scallops we are eating muscle tissue and with mussels we are eating , not to put too fine a point on it, crud-laden filter tissue ? I mean, I get the idea that there are months when you avoid certain seafoods, but you all (or most of you anyway) mean that mussels are always an iffy proposition, thanks,
sail 'n dive

but I don't cook them at home. I've eaten them while dining out, or have purchased the frozen in white wine/butter sauce version from Ireland at Trader Joe's. I know they are filter feeders, but they can be tasty.

I stand corrected. I guess mussels are popular!

Here is my own practice regarding harvest of filter feeders (and I'm no expert):

Because bi-valves are filter feeders, I do not consume the sport-harvested ones that are living near the mainland and consuming all the run-off and contaminants. I will harvest the ones that are miles from the mainland only.

I know the ones I consume in a store or restaurant could have come from anywhere, but for the ones I take myself, it's the ones away from the nearshore areas only. This is partly due to self-preservation and partly to leave the areas in which other divers are enjoying as untouched as possible. Areas where there are lots of divers I take trash and pictures... nothing else.

kelphelper:
Areas where there are lots of divers I take trash and pictures... nothing else.

Thats probably smart... Even though I love mussels, I would probably never take them from the ocean and cook them myself.. there is a high enough risk of getting bad mussels from a resteraunt or the grocery store that it isnt worth it to increase the risk by taking them myself.... You never know, there could have been a high bacteria count in the water the previous week.... better to be safe than sick with mussels... (but they are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!!)

Actually I used to love mussels and ate them on a semi-regular basis. They are quite tasty... and I don't always heed JMC's advice on filterers (except for liver and kidneys which I avoid without exception).

With the scallops one eats the adductor muscle tissue which does not sequester filtered toxins as much as the body tissues and fat. With the mussels, one eats the entire organism plus the muscles so one gets the tissues and fat that may sequester the toxins.

Of course in moderation everything should be fine!

Dr. Bill

This is like going to school! Right on. I like scallops a lot, but only get mussels in a fine dining seafood restaurant. Out of curiosity, I was wondering about taking scallops. Is it better to take the whole shell from the rock or reef, or is it better to get the scallop "meat" while leaving the shell attached? I thought I remember reading that its better to take just the meat.

john

SNOBORDJON:
<snipped> Out of curiosity, I was wondering about taking scallops. Is it better to take the whole shell from the rock or reef, or is it better to get the scallop "meat" while leaving the shell attached? I thought I remember reading that its better to take just the meat.
Good questions, Jon! I'm no expert, as I've only harvested my own scallops once or twice. Those I know with lots of experience say it's more efficient (and better for the reef critters) to slice out the adductor muscle while the shell remains in the reef, intact. It makes sense to me.

The first time I attempted it I didn't have a nice thin knife and so I took the whole shell. Those scallops got r-e-a-l-l-y heavy as I was nearing my limit.

I think I was told to either, 1) wedge the shell open with a strong knife while using the thin filet-type knife to maximize the harvest and cut it cleanly OR 2) get that filet knife in there quickly and slice through the adductor muscle before the scallop has a chance to clamp down. One slice and it is unable to clamp down.

One friend carries ziplock bags already labeled (her name in permanent marker) in her little goody bag. She cleans the goop off while still underwater, attracting all the sheephead for miles, and slips the nice clean white scallop muscle into the ziplock bag. Having her name on it already keeps others away from her take when back on a crowded boat.

Don't forget you need a fishing license with an ocean enhancement stamp to take scallops!!

kelphelper:
snip
I think I was told to either, 1) wedge the shell open with a strong knife while using the thin filet-type knife to maximize the harvest and cut it cleanly OR 2) get that filet knife in there quickly and slice through the adductor muscle before the scallop has a chance to clamp down. One slice and it is unable to clamp down.

Don't forget you need a fishing license with an ocean enhancement stamp to take scallops!!

The limit on scallops is 10. If you cut the muscle from a scallop you get two buttons, which is considered two scallops. So you can take half as many scallops if you use this method.

Back
Top Bottom