Don't neglect those wings!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

garyh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So like the title says.
My 1st trip to MX in a while, I store all my gear down there.
Had my guy pick up my bin and go through all the Regs prior to arrival.
1st day was just set up analyze and check things out.
Day 2 Load up and head out Jail House (funk has that changed) 20 mins in went to dump gas from my wing and the dump valve comes right off in may hand.
No big deal outside of a lost dive, exit with head up trim manageable.
ZG didn't have the parts to fix the valve so I used a loaner wing from my guy for the rest of the trip dives.
Dives 2 + 3, a few bubbles coming out of loaner wing every time I add air, no big deal seen it B4.
Buoyancy is of though ad air dump air WTF.
Dive 4 back to Car Wash (these r all stage dives) head in upstream, every time I add air to wing I am rolling to my right side. 2 jumps and 1 T in I am seriously agitated so throw the Thumbs Up.
Exiting it became apparent that every time I added air to the wing it would free flow and continue to ad air.
Had to disconnect the LPI hose and pass my stage off to buddy and exit using oral inflate and my DS.

This is honestly one of the reasons I encourage people to rethink redundant bladders.

According to DAN, one of the most common gear failures is the power inflator. Because no one overhauls those things. And how much attention is a backup one ever going to get?

Glad it was a minor, manageable problem that was more of a nuisance than a catastrophe.

So like the title says.
My 1st trip to MX in a while, I store all my gear down there.
Had my guy pick up my bin and go through all the Regs prior to arrival.
1st day was just set up analyze and check things out.
Day 2 Load up and head out Jail House (funk has that changed) 20 mins in went to dump gas from my wing and the dump valve comes right off in may hand.
No big deal outside of a lost dive, exit with head up trim manageable.
ZG didn't have the parts to fix the valve so I used a loaner wing from my guy for the rest of the trip dives.
Dives 2 + 3, a few bubbles coming out of loaner wing every time I add air, no big deal seen it B4.
Buoyancy is of though ad air dump air WTF.
Dive 4 back to Car Wash (these r all stage dives) head in upstream, every time I add air to wing I am rolling to my right side. 2 jumps and 1 T in I am seriously agitated so throw the Thumbs Up.
Exiting it became apparent that every time I added air to the wing it would free flow and continue to ad air.
Had to disconnect the LPI hose and pass my stage off to buddy and exit using oral inflate and my DS.
One thing I like about halcyon wings, is the halcyon SMBs use the same OPVs as their wings. So pretty easy to swap around.

The hal

One thing I like about halcyon wings, is the halcyon SMBs use the same OPVs as their wings. So pretty easy to swap around.
One of my H SMBs has a different thread on the OPV than on my wings. All my wings (H and OMS) are interchangeable so must be the SMB that's "non-standard". Something to verify before assuming that that one can be used for a spare for the other.

Hey I just have to ask - don't you check the wing before getting in? Inflate, dump via the deflate, button. Inflate, dump via a dump valve. Inflate, dump via the other valve...

Btw, a buddy went through the same ordeal that you described. I saw the events unfold and it was somewhat comical to watch. I bet my friend will disagree.

One of my H SMBs has a different thread on the OPV than on my wings. All my wings (H and OMS) are interchangeable so must be the SMB that's "non-standard". Something to verify before assuming that that one can be used for a spare for the other.
Halcyon changed the thread of their OPVs in 2020. The fine thread was used prior to 2020 and in 2020 they went to a coarse thread as standard.

They changed the threads at some point if I remember correctly.

The newer ones threads are less close to each other I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom