Doolette's Alert Diver Interview

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Guerrero

Contributor
Reaction score
I was reading the latest copy of DAN's Alert Diver magazine, and David Doolette had an interview in there talking about deep stops. His response was interesting but I think I need some help interpreting it. For no-stop dives, he said evidence is inconclusive but deep stops on these profiles are probably benign.

The second kind of deep stops he described were ones "popular in the early days of technical diving," and sound to me like adding a Pyle stop to a profile and then doing more deco shallower to account for the greater time spent at an intermediate depth.

The last one sound like a VPM-B profile where the stops are distributed much deeper than a Buhlmann profile, and the shallow stops are significantly shorter as well, which in his view was not inherently safer than a traditional profile based on recent experiments (I assume the NEDU one is part of that rationale).

Anyway, this is not a deep vs. shallow stops thread. The thing that I found interesting is the suggestion that one or a few intermediate stops before getting to the algorithm-prescribed shallower stops was potentially safer than a traditional Buhlmann profile, provided you complete additional deco to account for your time at an intermediate depth. At least this is how I interpret this part of the interview.

This would seem to be a profile like one in Blatteau, et al.'s paper in the 2008 UHMS Deep Stops Workshop (pg. 195) that showed that experimental profile 4 (EAP 4) followed the exact same profile as dissolved-gas model would predict, but added a 2-min intermediate stop at 25 msw after a 60 msw dive on air for 15 min. However, Blatteau's paper indicates no beneficial effect for this profile vs. the standard dissolved-gas profile. It states "our schedules didn't find the compromise between high gas elimination and low supersaturation to minimize bubble formation." On the other hand, in the discussion of this study published in Aviat Space Environ Med 2005; 76:490 –2, they say "deep stops might have worked better if we had also increased the duration of shallow stops." That seems to support David's response in the interview, though this study doesn't have any data to support the assertion. And this study is about bubble scores, not DCS outcomes, so the link to safety is not firm.

Importantly, they followed the same deco profile for the standard table and the one that added an extra 2-min stop at 25 msw, rather than adding on some additional deco as would be expected. For me, it intuitively makes sense that an intermediate stop before you hit your shallow stops on a Buhlmann profile would be better for the fast tissues, but that you would also incur additional deco time because while you're giving the fast tissues a brief chance to washout, you're also still on-gassing the slower tissues, depending of depth and the amount of intert gas already absorbed.

As some anecdotal evidence, I was recently doing some dives on a deco profile I don't normally do, where we dived to about 180ft for 20 min. For our deco, we moved some time to deeper stops around 70ft, then thinned out the intermediate stops working our way up to the 30ft, 20ft, and 10ft stops, where we did a good amount of shallow deco inline with what I would expect from a Buhlmann profile. These profiles had us feeling pretty good after, but I can't say I felt dramatically better than had I run a (for me) normal profile. They were also short exposures. What seems clear of course in all this is that we've arrived at a place where we can effectively repeat technical dives in a safe manner using many different profiles and that further improvement likely would have marginal impact.

Anyway, this is not a deep vs. shallow stops thread. The thing that I found interesting is the suggestion that one or a few intermediate stops before getting to the algorithm-prescribed shallower stops was potentially safer than a traditional Buhlmann profile, provided you complete additional deco to account for your time at an intermediate depth. At least this is how I interpret this part of the interview.

David is a member here on Scubaboard so he can probably explain it better than I can but the study was done by NEDU and was intended to compare the relative safety of Buhlmann versus a particular bubble model.

What they discovered is that redistribution of the stops to a deeper depth resulted in more cases of DCS. The conclusion isn't necessarily that deep stops are bad but that the assumption that redistributing time deeper should allow for shorter shallow stops is incorrect.

This is a relevant finding for technical divers because several popular bubble models have this assumption built into them. For recreational (no stop) diving it probably makes no difference whatsoever because even if you do stop deeper, you are making a "multi level" no-stop dive, not a decompression dive.

R..

I was puzzled by that comment myself, and I had to read it several times to make sure I wasn't misreading it. Doolette was a major contributor to this thread, and and I don't recall him saying anything like that there.

I was recently in a situation in which a single diver joined our team for a deco dive, and he ended up doing what I think Doolette is saying in that sentence. We told him we were using Buhlmann with GFs of 40/80. He was new to that theory of decompression, but he had a new Petrel and set it accordingly. We started our ascent to the first designated stop in the Buhlmann profile, but he could not bring himself to do it. His GUE training was too thoroughly ingrained in him, so he had to start with one-minute deep stops much deeper than that. Of course, the Petrel did what Doolette seems to be saying here and started to add shallow stop time because of those deep stops. As a consequence, he ended adding 20 more minutes of deco to a dive that only had about 60 minutes of deco to begin with.

the study was done by NEDU and was intended to compare the relative safety of Buhlmann versus a particular bubble model.

I know, but I'm not sure this is really germane to this thread, which is not a NEDU study thread. My hope is we can discuss the idea of adding a (few) Pyle stop(s) to a profile, while incorporating additional deco at the shallower depths to compensate for the increased on-gassing, without devolving into the whole NEDU/VPM debate that spilled over to here from RBW.

Keeping my hopes up :)

I was puzzled by that comment myself, and I had to read it several times to make sure I wasn't misreading it. Doolette was a major contributor to this thread, and and I don't recall him saying anything like that there.

I was recently in a situation in which a single diver joined our team for a deco dive, and he ended up doing what I think Doolette is saying in that sentence. We told him we were using Buhlmann with GFs of 40/80. He was new to that theory of decompression, but he had a new Petrel and set it accordingly. We started our ascent to the first designated stop in the Buhlmann profile, but he could not bring himself to do it. His GUE training was too thoroughly ingrained in him, so he had to start with one-minute deep stops much deeper than that. Of course, the Petrel did what Doolette seems to be saying here and started to add shallow stop time because of those deep stops. As a consequence, he ended adding 20 more minutes of deco to a dive that only had about 60 minutes of deco to begin with.
So a few minute-long stops before the gf40 prescribed 1st stop tacked on an additional 20mins of deco, bringing total deco time to 80mins?

Something's fishy here...

So a few minute-long stops before the gf40 prescribed 1st stop tacked on an additional 20mins of deco, bringing total deco time to 80mins?

Something's fishy here...
It was more than a few stops. His first stop was at 75% of his maximum depth, which was much, much deeper than Bulmann wanted. He was below us the whole time as we gazed down in wonder. I can only tell you how long he was in the water after our deco was done.

It was more than a few stops. His first stop was at 75% of his maximum depth, which was much, much deeper than Bulmann wanted. He was below us the whole time as we gazed down in wonder. I can only tell you how long he was in the water after our deco was done.
75% avg depth.

I'd really like to know more about that dive.

75% avg depth.

I'd really like to know more about that dive.

Seems quite possible that a computer would give that result for some profiles. I just ran 75m for 30 mins through Baltic;

40/80 first stop 42m, run time = 146 mins
5/80 first stop 51m, run time = 162 mins (16 minutes longer)

GFLo 5 is the lowest I can go in Baltic, but 75% max depth would be ~57m, even deeper than 5/80 wants, so run time according to the computer would be longer still.

(Edit: Also, doing linear intermediate stops would also add a bit to the run time according to the computer. Throw in an additional gas break or two and I can easily see 30+ mins being added above a pure 40/80 profile.)

Last edited:
I know, but I'm not sure this is really germane to this thread, which is not a NEDU study thread. My hope is we can discuss the idea of adding a (few) Pyle stop(s) to a profile, while incorporating additional deco at the shallower depths to compensate for the increased on-gassing, without devolving into the whole NEDU/VPM debate that spilled over to here from RBW.

Keeping my hopes up :)

My thinking is that you can do all the deep stops you want. Just count those stops as bottom time and you're done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom