Double 130's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shin1999:
just got back from the gym. its been a while and got so tired. I would want to be ready to get those tanks and beable to carry it without problem by this summer. Does anyone seen some one unable to carry the tank or dropping them?

What is your diving environment? Where do you used to dive?
We can't see your location.......

It isn't easy to move a full filled 130 CFs without a back plate or harness. I have seen some divers dropped it into their cargo area often. Did they get hurt? Maybe or maybe not. The minor hurt isn't noticable immediately, but it will come out eventually based on my experience. I have had many sports injuries due to a martial art, ski, or soccer. It was OK even after a surgery or cast when I was 20s or early 30s, but it is getting hurt over time.

I live in southern california. I am planning to move to Japan for couple of month and hear there is great diving spots there as well. I do have back plate and harness.

I actualy rented many types of twins before I bought my set. I had no problem hauling around 104's and 130's, but found that my trim always had me diving with my head to far up. I tried both 95's and 120's and found my trim was much better. I even tried 100's and found the trim to be the same as the 120's and 95's.

Now I woul'nt mind the extra 20 cuft of gas, but I figure the better trim will save that much gas on a dive anyways.

BTW, I'm 6'0" and 230#. Hence, I'm now th proud owner :D of a set of Faber 120's (actually 117's @ 3442psi, 119's @ 3500psi)

So rent or try a few sets before you buy.

I have a set. They are stable in the water but awkward on land. I am able to get up with them from the floor (with a backplate, go up ladders, put on my fins. I'm 5 9, 160lb. They're not as bad as you might think. It's a substitute for a gym membership...

shin1999:
Any one have these set of tanks? are they really that heavy? I am 5.9, 175 pound. I have carried double 100's but have not trided the 130s. Thanks for your information.

Anyway you look at it, no matter what kind of shape you are in, they are heavy:D

PST E8 130s weigh roughly 44.5lbs, empty, with a standard valve. Double that, you are at 89lbs.

PST E7 120s weigh roughly 39.5lbs, empty, with a standard valve. Double that, you are at 79lbs

PST E7 100s weigh roughly 34.5lbs, empty, with a standard valve. Double that, you are at 69lbs

To the weights above, you then need to add the weight of the gas when full and the weight of all the other equipment you are going to have strapped on...

Why would you even dive with double 130's? No rec boat is going to want to fill your tanks. You would be exceeding deco times.

Maybe you should be thinking about a rebreather. :wink:

seansrs36:
Why would you even dive with double 130's? No rec boat is going to want to fill your tanks. You would be exceeding deco times.

There are other types of boats......

(let alone shore/sinkhole diving)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom