Double HP100s for Cave or NOT??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I "cave dive", at least that is what I pretend it is, with an older set of PST HP 100's. They are a nice set of doubles, a little on the small side for longer and deeper dives, but very good for the diving that you will be doing at the Intro level.

Now, the criticism of these tanks that you shared earlier does have some validation in my case. I have the tanks dropped as far as I can in the bands, I even drilled an extra set of holes in my AL backplate to drop everything down further, and I set my Classic wing as high as it will go, and I STILL am head heavy at shallow depths when I breath the tanks down somewhat. At the start of the dive I can correct it rather easily, but at the stop after the second dive I had to actively fin to keep my feet down (and yes, I have Jet fins). A 3 pound weight with a bolt snap tied to it solves the problem for now. One day I will find some tanks that fit me a little better. I am tall and kind of skinny, which probably doesn't help.

I own two Worthington HP 130 that I use single. My plans are to join them in the future to possibly take wreck or cave formation.
What am I to expect?

Thank's in advance for your learned opinion:wink:.

PS: my excuses for hyjacking this thread, I think it was beautifully covered and I'm just trying to profit from the good momentum :eyebrow:

LOL, I had absolutely no learning curve coming from AL80 in a jacket BC to double HP130(X8s) in a AL BP and Classic Wing. I'm sure someone will regurgitate some BS that X8s will kill you instantly in overhead.

Belmont:
I own two Worthington HP 130 that I use single. My plans are to join them in the future to possibly take wreck or cave formation.

Cave formation? Man that's gotta be one LONG course! :D

Belmont:
What am I to expect?

Thank's in advance for your learned opinion:wink:.

PS: my excuses for hyjacking this thread, I think it was beautifully covered and I'm just trying to profit from the good momentum :eyebrow:

A bad back from hauling the big freight around!

scubafool:
I "cave dive", at least that is what I pretend it is, with an older set of PST HP 100's. They are a nice set of doubles, a little on the small side for longer and deeper dives, but very good for the diving that you will be doing at the Intro level.

Now, the criticism of these tanks that you shared earlier does have some validation in my case. I have the tanks dropped as far as I can in the bands, I even drilled an extra set of holes in my AL backplate to drop everything down further, and I set my Classic wing as high as it will go, and I STILL am head heavy at shallow depths when I breath the tanks down somewhat. At the start of the dive I can correct it rather easily, but at the stop after the second dive I had to actively fin to keep my feet down (and yes, I have Jet fins). A 3 pound weight with a bolt snap tied to it solves the problem for now. One day I will find some tanks that fit me a little better. I am tall and kind of skinny, which probably doesn't help.

Oh , cmon , you Don't pretend by any means , my friend !!! :D
(David is an awesome cave diver...)
Interestingly enough , Da Fool and I have just about exact consumable rates on his HP100's and my LP 85's.
I dive with a LOT of people that use HP100's and they love them !
I just like my Faber 85's... :D

Da Beano stuck in Cleveland (ERP)

P.S. See , and I didn't even mention ANYTHING about Gradma's , slaps , and Those yard Jarts :rofl3:

I think someone generalized too much on their argument. Everyone has a different physical characteristics. How could he/she say, this is good, the other is bad, specially on the size and weight issue.

My GF is using HP 100s because she had many troubles on 119s and 80s due to the weight or length.

Please ask him/her if it is ok to use a short BP. I would like to hear his/her argument.

rjack321:
Actually you aren't too far off the mark. HP100s are one of the easier doubled cylinders to dive with. Compared to say HP119s or even more challenging HP80s. If you struggle in HP100s you might need more practice/experience overall.

Or just different tanks. Skill can make up for some equipment difficulties, but not all.

Very true. I used my E7-100's as singles before doubling them up and the transition was comfortable and easy for me.

Different physical characteristics require different tanks. There is no one perfect tank for everything.

I have a set of 95's and they work great for me. I also have a set of 72's but I haven't used them yet.

I have used both in caves.....my preference is the HP100's which is what I am diving now for my doubles dives. I am a very petite girl and find that the 85's are just a bit too long for me. Especially when trying to maneuver a scooter, I have a problem with the tanks hitting me in the head and causing me to not be able to see where I am going without lifting my body up. The 100's are dropped down in the bands and with a few new holes in my backplate, the setup works well for me. I have no problems at all being head heavy either. Just my 2 cents........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom