DPV rigging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

admikar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a question for DPV divers:
most of the times I see DPV leash rigged at 6/12 o'clock position. From my very limited experience, turns, more so tight ones, are made by rotating DPV to the side you want to turn and pulling on handle. If rigged at 6/12 position leash has to slide through boltsnap to allow turn or you have to make leverage against the leash. Depending on tension and some rigging options, leverage might be the only option.
Wouldn't 3/9 position be a lot better, since DPV can just pivot around the tie off points?

Turns easier, goes off course easier. Personal preference. Pick your poison.

I don't like the sliding knots or bolt snaps. I found the length I liked by using the sliding knots and then tied off my lines at that length directly to the bolt snap. That's my preference on my scooter. If I need to turn a bit snappier then I just grab the shroud and push/pull as necessary. My top line is just slightly shorter than what would be parallel to the scooter. The bottom line length sets the orientation of the top line.

Yeah, I have figured as much. Vertical lines are more stable in pitch, horizontal are easier to turn.
Like I said, during my very limited experience (more as a try dive) we were together with non-DPV divers, so I did a lot of tight turns. It's probably my lack of technique and just not a lot of stamina in my arm for that kind of work, but I got sore after an hour.
Another DPV only dive was quite a lot easier on me since it was more a straight line run.

I have some photos of the rigging I use and have for many years at:
This Link

Your reasoning for this setup?
This has been the setup we have used in caves for many years.

Slip knots aren't my favorite. The black strap "handle" runs along the axis of the scooter and is much more ergonomically suited for swimming the DPV though tighter spots where being on the trigger is not appropriate.

The white cord at the shroud has connected to it a blue line with knots so as to adjust the tow length. It is connected via a quick link.

My reasoning is that it works better than the other rigging examples I have seen over the years.

YMMV

I have some photos of the rigging I use and have for many years at:
This Link

Does it change the way the scooter handles if you make the white cord longer or shorter (of course with changing where you have the dogbone on the blue cord to suit)?

E.g. if you make the white cord longer and then use a shorter span of the blue cord, does that have a noticeable affect on how the scooter handles?

Is there a "just right" length for the white cord? Or does it not really matter?

if you make the white cord longer and then use a shorter span of the blue cord, does that have a noticeable affect on how the scooter handles?

Is there a "just right" length for the white cord? Or does it not really matter?
I don't know. The white cord I have rigged on all my DPVs have always only been long enough to pass over the shroud. I *think* having that white cord short would make a more stable ride. But I have never tried.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom