DPV Under $1000 - recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also keep your eye on the Decostop and Cave diving forums, they actually do come up for sale quite often..
Another option is to put a Want To Buy ad in the Decostop forum as well as Scubaboard and see if you get a response, I think you will be surprised.

I'll piggyback on the Mako band wagon.

I bought mine for $800, plus the battery and charger (link to review a year ago). It has a rewound motor so it's faster than my buddies Sierras. It has the reinforced hull, with a max depth that is a mystery (I've had it to 180' so far).

No doubt it's heavy, and I've had to make some modifications to get it the way I want it, like removing one trigger and adding a DIY compass mount.

As well as the decostop, I see them on rebreatherworld and ebay.

Yeah, all in cost for a deep moded Mako is going to be just under $1000 (maybe slightly above with more extras). As others have mentioned, though, these are serious scooters. Fast enough to keep up with a Sierra (if the Mako is fully pitched) and can last just as long. The price is definitely right compared to the next class up (Gavins, Xs, SS).

For what it is worth, I just purchased an Explorer Monday, and it was delivered today (bought from LP through Amazon). We use them for excavation on open wreck in NC / SC. I will have mine wet next weekend if the stars align, and will let you know what I find. We have used the classic version before with no problems. They help conserve air on down/back travel, and are great at blowing big holes in the sand looking for plates, bullets, other artifacts. It looks like a solidly built product.

If you were content with the Classic, you'll be very impressed with the Seadoo Seascooter Explorer There is basically no comparison other than they're both Seadoo(and price of course). Way more power and refinement-let us know how you like it

If you were content with the Classic, you'll be very impressed with the Seadoo Seascooter Explorer There is basically no comparison other than they're both Seadoo(and price of course). Way more power and refinement-let us know how you like it

I got to use it on one dive , but others used it on dive #2 of the day. It worked great except the trigger got stuck in the 'on' position (we were blowing open a section of wreckage and stirring up a lot of sediment). It was a simple matter to pull the master kill switch, and the trigger freed itself during the ascent from dive #2. All around - great product for the price. It is not a 'toy', but a very solidly built product. I would recommend them, especially given the price gap between the Seadoo and the next step up.

You'll see a big performance improvement on the Seadoo if you get rid of all the safety screens. But you will need to be careful to keep things out of the prop since there's no clutch.

i triple (or quadruple) the used Mako

get a solid scooter, a Gavin if you can find one used for a decent price would be even better ... one of the X-Scooters would be sweet too (Sierra or Cuda), used, of course

ultimately, you don't want a toy scooter, no matter what the price

I got to use it on one dive , but others used it on dive #2 of the day. It worked great except the trigger got stuck in the 'on' position (we were blowing open a section of wreckage and stirring up a lot of sediment). It was a simple matter to pull the master kill switch, and the trigger freed itself during the ascent from dive #2. All around - great product for the price. It is not a 'toy', but a very solidly built product. I would recommend them, especially given the price gap between the Seadoo and the next step up.

The Sea-Doo Explorer is a really nice balance of weight, thrust and run time-and price of course.

Last edited:
Aloha RJS...,

I'm real happy with my Torpedo scooters. They're very simple and can be operated one handed, either hand. Priced reasonably too with one hour+ run times. What do you plan on using your DPV for?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom