Drift Diving and slow descent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im a big +one for the recommendations above to equalize on shore on the boat etc. You'll also want to equalize just before rolling in and be exhaling as you roll. I used to be like you but practiced and learned to equalize early and often (and not hard). Also used Sudafed and such for awhile too but rarely if ever need it now. I still equalize on a regular basis when not even near the water. As another poster said, get your eustacian tubes used to working for you. Im not talking about the valsalva either, more like you equalize your ears on a plane, yawn with mouth closed, push out your lower jaw, that sort of thing. You should be able to hear them open for you. You'll recognize it from being on the plane, yes?

And as a few others have said, I also recommend you spend some dive trips other places than Coz until you get on top of this. Then you'll be able to return and have a delightful time.

All great advice on equalization. But since I've got my next dive trip already booked in Coz I'm going to be using the equalization techniques given and work with the dive operators to make a plan and make my dives successfull.

*oops . . That was supposed to say exhaling through your nose as you roll into the water.

DH and I hired a private DM in Cozumel. I told him about my slow-to-equalize ears, and they got us in the water first, in an area where we had a wide sandy area to descend to before hitting the reef. Also, the current there was not too strong; I could easily fin against it to stay in position. It would also help to go on a six-pack boat, where you and your dive buddy have more "say" in which reef you go to. Tell them to bring you to one where you don't have to drop quickly. Also, see if you can go to more shallow sites, where you don't lose half of your dive time descending and ascending.

Back
Top Bottom