Drift diving, where are some good places to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1+ West Palm Beach, Florida. Headed there next week. Come in the fall and you can combine it with Lobster Season.

IME there are excellent drift dives along some walls in the Maldives. One in particular we drifted around 1km in around 45mins. The reef needs to have certain shape for this.

Protea Banks in S. Africa has unreal drifts but they're often deep from what I've heard.

There are also dives in current where the whole point is to be stationary at the head of the current watching the show. Again some reefs in the Maldives, Palau and F. Polynesia are reknowned for this. The 'drift' doesn't happen until you're heading up for the safety stop.

1+ West Palm Beach, Florida. Headed there next week. Come in the fall and you can combine it with Lobster Season.

Made a video from last weekend showing portions of a drift dive there.

Jupiter Deep Ledge: Scuba Spearfishing - YouTube

[video=youtube_share;JIN1uz94HNQ]http://youtu.be/JIN1uz94HNQ[/video]

In the Caribbean, many people have been to Coz and figure that is drift diving.

Very few people have been to Tobago. I can assure you, that is drift diving.

Otherwise- there's a whole wide world out there beyond our little backyard bathtub.

I completely forgot about SE coast of Florida. We did some okay drift dives there, and have heard that up by West Palm Beach the drifts are even better. The dives ops there usually give each buddy pair a buoy to drag and the boat picks you up when you surface. Works okay as long as you both aren't doing photography.
Still doesn't rate up there with some of the mind blowing drifts in Cozumel like Punta Tunich, Paseo de Cedral, Maracaibo or Barracuda.

Hmm...Tobaigo you say? now theres an idea for next year for a current junkie..may have to look into that one

I am part of the Dive Industry in Palm Beach, so you could say I am biased towards it....but I have been an exploration and adventure diver since the 70's, and have dove the Keys, Caymans, Cozumel, the Bahamas, all over the Caribbean, and as far as Fiji....In all of this, Only Fiji would pull me from Palm Beach for a Dive Trip....but considering the travel time top Fiji is close to 30 hours and very traumatic to your system--Fiji Trips should be 3 weeks long so that you don't have to dread coming back so much :)

As to Drifts in Palm Beach, we have the huge adrenaline dives to rival anywhere, but I really don't think that is what most here on SB want...
And a big part of Palm Beach Drift Diving, is our EASY, RELAXING, and beautiful dives over places like Breakers or Pauls or Horseshoe, and pretty much all over Boynton.... See this for the feeling of this style of Drift Diving--you should "feel" the Drift in this :)
[video=youtube;lW1h8PschFI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW1h8PschFI&feature=share&list=UUsM5Za9Kc3 DbP7Qo3-Zmz9w[/video]

Back
Top Bottom