Drive Grapevine after dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frank, I was told by an agency training director that if I was going to drive to altitude or flying in an unpressurized plane. Use altitude tables for my dives. That way my nitrogen loading should be below the highest altitude that I'll reach. Most commerical airlines pressurize, from my googling, to around 8000. So if you dive using altidude tables of 8000 you are already reducing your nitrogen intake. Don't take this as medical advice or anything like that. I''m just passing on some information that I was given.

I had checked Dr. Kay's 'Altitude Exposure After Diving Article'. The article recommended a minimum wait of 12 hours for an altitude of 4000' and 24 hours for an altitude of 6000'. The article was dated 2000 and I was curious if there is more current information.
The plan is to drive back to the Bay Area the following day. We are looking to find what a "reasonable" departure time would be, after an 18 hour wait or a 24 hour wait?
I have posted the question with DAN, but have not heard back from them yet.

---------- Post added July 22nd, 2014 at 07:35 AM ----------

DAN's response is:
"Driving over a mountain pass with an altitude of 5,000 feet would be the same as an airplane flight. The latest research indicates a minimum surface interval of 12 hours for a single, no-decompression dive. Multiple dives or multiple days of diving is a minimum 18 hour wait, and decompression diving or any problems with dives -- a 24 our wait. The best recommendation is always to wait 24 hours to avoid problems."

Looks like the plan will be to leave so that the Grapevine is reached around the 24 hour point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom