Dry Suit cert in BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snozberry

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello! I recently moved back to Canada from Australia and I'm itching to dive again... however I've only dove in tropical waters. I live in northern Alberta and I was looking at traveling to either Vancouver/Vancouver Island to complete maybe a dry suit diving cert and experience the waters there. Do any of you have any suggestions regarding which dive shops/sites to try out? I was looking at going for approximately a week in perhaps March-ish. Any suggestions are appreciated : D

I did mine with Ocean Quest Dive Centre in Burnaby,BC. It was a good very course and they scheduled it on a day that was good for me instead of a day that was good for them. I did the course on a Friday then joined the shop for their Saturday morning fun dive for more practice. Get several dives in as soon as possible after taking the course to practice.

Did my Open Water with Ocean Quest, tacked on the Dry Suit cert for another $150. Great instructors there, very high level of training.

Whytecliff/Porteau are what seem to be the most famous on the mainland, there a tons of sites on the island.

Ocean Quest is probably the best training shop in Vancouver, no doubt, and it's also where I dive out of. That being said, it's in a somewhat dreary spot in Burnaby no where near the ocean. if you're planning a dive vacation to the West Coast, I'd suggest you take a look at Rockfish Divers in Victoria. They're attached to the Brentwood Bay Resort and run dive charters off their own dock, so you can do a combo hotel / training course / charter all from one spot and the resort is in a pretty nice spot on the Saanich Inlet. And I think Greg from OQ trained the owners so you should be in good hands.

It's also close to Willis Point, one of the better shore dives around Victoria. Check out Swankenstein's page - victoriadiving.awardspace.com to see some of the local sites. And if you're feeling bold - take the time to do the Cape Breton and Saskatchewan wih Seadragon Charters.

And if all of that doesn't sate your needs, the best local shore dive in Vancouver is The Cut at Whytecliff. Porteau is over-rated.

I would say IDC is fantastic too. Also the only shop in Canada with a GUE instructor on staff. I did all my certain through them including GUE work. Really really professional.

Hi Snozberry, welcome back.

First of all, if you're just wanting to get a few dives in here or there, a dry suit isn't mandatory, it's obviously a great option for the cold waters of BC, but a 2 piece (14mm total, 7mm a piece) wetsuit will work just fine too, you'd save a bit of money that way as well. But, if you're set on taking the course, there are definitely some good shops in and around Vancouver that are worth visiting. Like others have said; Ocean Quest / IDC / The Edge, are great. At Langley Diving, we offer the dry suit course for $229 + tax, which includes your rental suit, all the dives, all gear except mask/fins/boots/snorkel, AND your cert card, which I don't believe the other shops include. I've got a lot of respect for all the others, and know you're in good hands wherever you may choose to go :)

Regarding dive sites; there's tons. If you haven't been to Porteau Cove, it's worth checking out. After a few dozen times it starts to get kind of boring, all the dive-shops tend to do training there, along with Whyte Cliff Park which is another great site (especially The Cut:D). Other places close to Horse Shoe bay like Kelvin Grove offer a lot of things to see. The town of Sechelt has Tuwanek (favorite), and like others have said, the wrecks over in Nanaimo are good too.

You've got a lot of options! I'd try them all if you can. People on here are always looking to go out, even just pop into a shop, and you're bound to find a buddy.

Take care,

Tersch

If you are going to the Island, give UB DIVING a try. Sean and Shellie will treat you very well. They are up in the Courtney area.

There are a lot of good shops in the Vancouver area and the island. Maybe make a few phone calls and send some emails. You will find a shop that will work for you.

When will you be here in March? I may be in Burnaby in March diving with Ocean Quest. Maybe we could meet for a dive.

Many great options for the course - it really depends on where you want to dive. Reasonably priced accommodation may be a little easier to find over on Vancouver Island too but it depends on what other activities and placed you want to experience while you are here.

+1 for Ocean Quest. Edge and IDC are also good people. Don't know Langley Diving at all.

However the best diving around here is on Vancouver Island so if you are planning a trip to BC you will want to think about trying to include a trip to the Island. Lots to choose from. Whytecliff and Porteau Cove are the beginner sites used for training in Vancouver. Good dives, but once you get a bit more experience you will want to come over and dive Naniamo, or go North to Quadra Island, Barkley Sound or Browning Pass for spectacular dives.

Unfortunately I don't really have any experience with the training provided over here as all my training was done when I lived in Vancouver so my recommendation is based on talking to people. The local shop (in Victoria) I use for fills and odds and ends is Wilson Diving. Everything I have seen tells me they would be great to learn with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom