Dry suit diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me the pros nd ons of cold water dry suit diving? I know dry suits aren't cheap, but are they worth it versus heavy wet suits? I get extremely warm while on the surface donning my equipment while n a wet suit, and it's much worse while exerting myself, such as going on a shore dive where there is any walking involved. So what I'm relly wondering is if a dry suit is easier to get into while above water, thereby requiring less effort, and if it isn't as hot as a 7 mm wetsuit while above water. Thanks!

Hi Bruce:
IMHO dry suits are worth the extra cost if you dive a lot in cold water. They can be harder to get into than the 7mm wet suits and can be stifling hot if the ambient is very warm, but they more than make up for the surface discomfort when you are at depth. Many of the dive sites here in MO and IL have bottom temperatures in the 40's, and a 7mm is just not enough. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

absolutely! they are worth every penny!!!! some of the newer ones are considerably more user friendly than that ancient dinosaur that i use (crushed neoprene, oral inflator hose, takes two engineers and a three-handed gorilla to get into)

be advised however, that depending on your build, some leakage may be unavoidable.

Also, be aware of the undergarments available, and note that you may be able to purchase some usable undergarments at places like REI or Sport Chalet (as much as i dislike dealing with big chain stores) that are not as expensive as the stuff sold by the drysuit makers.

Not that I bother to wear mine much because I am a very odd creature and I love the cold water diving but there is an absolute point when a dry suit is needed. What you consider cold I probably consider perfect but I also know people that ALWAYS use a dry suit regardless of the water temp. When I ask them why they gave me an answer you just can't argue with and that is "I am more comfortable both during and after the dive".

Bingo! The perfect answer. It really depends on each individuals comfort point. That comfort point for each person can depend on so many different things like age, weight, build and I think most commonly are the frequency and type of diving.

Once you have that Drysuit you can control your comfort a great deal by your undergarment wear.

=-)

You will get just as hot if not hotter at the surface if your out in the sun. At least I do. And with a wetsuit you can flush it full of water befor you start donning your gear. My ossystems drysuit comes with a neck ring that allows you to vent hot air during this process but I have never used it. Reguardless once you start hitting the thermoclines the dry suit is well worth it. This is just my opinion. Jeff

I forgot to add. I dont know if you are fimaliar with Gilboa quarry down in Gilboa Ohio, but they are having a DUI weekend. Check out their website at http://www.divegilboa.com it will give you date and times. There are going to be dui reps there the whole weekend and you can try out several drysuits at no cost. Jeff

Bruce,

Once you go dry, it is very hard to go back to diving wet in colder waters. I wear my suit in the NE, when caving in FL. and when diving in Maryland. I love them for boat dives, you stay warm and when you strip out of the suit, you are a lot more comfortable during the surface interval. If you are looking for great suits, check out DUI and andy's Drysuits. I don't think you will go wrong.

With the undergarments, you really need to get stuff that is going to keep you warm and wick water away from your body in case of a suit flood. A dry suit is only good for keeping the water out, it is your undergarments that will keep you warm. If you are diving cold water, try Argon for suit inflation as well.

Enjoy,
Eric

Good point eric, I just purchased a oms drysuit inflation system and apon the first time using could see a great difference. I dove it in a quarry in february and the water temp was 35 degrees. I was very comfortable, and from that dive was sold on argon for cold water multiple dives. Jeff

The best way to use Argon is a pre-dive flush of the suit. Fill the suit with Argon and dump a few times to replace any air with argon. A lot of guys will use a larger tank for this and then connect their 6/13 cubic foot bottle for the dive
Eric

Back
Top Bottom