Dry Tourtugas divers almost lost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverbob

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Did anyone hear about this last week? I apologize if this has been talked about already. The owner of my LDS just got back from the Tortugas, and said they heard on their radio 5 people were lost at sea. He said he has pictures of the search and rescue planes and 'copters searching. Turns out all 5 were found about half an hour before sunset. I was just wondering if anyone else heard about this, or knew of a link that would have more info. Again, I apologize if this horse has already been beaten here.

diverbob:
Did anyone hear about this last week? I apologize if this has been talked about already. The owner of my LDS just got back from the Tortugas, and said they heard on their radio 5 people were lost at sea. He said he has pictures of the search and rescue planes and 'copters searching. Turns out all 5 were found about half an hour before sunset. I was just wondering if anyone else heard about this, or knew of a link that would have more info. Again, I apologize if this horse has already been beaten here.

I don't see that anything has been mentioned...I even check in other places for info.. I find nothing. Thank goodness they were found. I wonder how long they were out there for?

I'll let you know if I hear or see anything.

Marisa-t

I was on the trip with the LDS you are speaking of. From what we heard on the radios there was 4 people total on the boat.They all got into the water for a dive and were swept away by the current.The boat captain managed to get back to the boat after a couple hours.2 divers and a 15 year old on a Hookah rig were not able to get back to the boat.They were lost about 10:00am and were rescued about 8:30 pm.

ChrisMO:
I was on the trip with the LDS you are speaking of. From what we heard on the radios there was 4 people total on the boat.They all got into the water for a dive and were swept away by the current.The boat captain managed to get back to the boat after a couple hours.2 divers and a 15 year old on a Hookah rig were not able to get back to the boat.They were lost about 10:00am and were rescued about 8:30 pm.

Thank you for more details. That is frightening! I imagine they were all exausted and were glad to get back on land. I hope all are doing better now.

Back
Top Bottom