Drying Zeagle BCD bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marek K:
Um, I'm not admittin' to nothin', but does anyone ever suck the residual air out of their BC by mouth through the inflator hose, when getting ready to pack it for a trip, to get the volume down as much as possible?

Like I said, I'm not admittin' to nothin'...

Um...I do that before every dive!!

The guy who gets to the bottom first gets the first choice on which grouper to shoot!!

:05:

Thanks for the input on this subject guys. In reference to the goop inside the bladder being algae...I was referring to the camelback that you drink from. The backwash from your mouth instills bacteria into the bladder through the hose. So yes, maybe algae in BCD, but bacteria(among other things :D ) in a camelback.

ScottZeagle:
Originally Posted by Marek K
Um, I'm not admittin' to nothin', but does anyone ever suck the residual air out of their BC by mouth through the inflator hose [...] ?
Um...I do that before every dive!!:05:
Gee, Scott, :11: why are you batting your eyelashes at me?

Seriously, though, this is what ties all this hijacking back to the original post... if mold and bacteria do grow inside a BC bladder -- bacause it's not rinsed and dried well -- then it seems there'd be a high risk of lung infection. No?

--Marek

Oh man...I thought I picked the " :05: " one!!! hahahahaha

I don't know about the "lung infection" thing. I guess it is possible????

I know a lot of other people who suck the air out of the bladder before every dive, and they are all in fine health????

I generally agree with reefraff, don't make big issues out of small worries. But I can relate to your problem in a little different way.

I often have to decontaminate my equipment before moving from one body of water to another to prevent the spread of zebra mussels. This definitely includes the water that may have entered the BC.

We use a solution of bleach and water. I don't measure it out exactly but it isn't, and shouldn't be, super strong. Too strong of a bleach solution may damage the BC material so don't go overboard with it. Two teaspoons to a cup or two of water should be enough to kill any bacteria that may worry you.

After your normal rinse and dump (inside) the bladder with clean, fresh water put in the solution and swish it around good and rinse and dump it again with clean fresh water. You can leave it in there and swish it around a couple times a day for a couple days depending how big your concern is. This should also prevent the need to get the inside of the bladder totally dry, although putting air in the bladder and purging it out over a period of time is a good way to get your BC dry on the inside.

I'm not sure if I subscribe to the lung infection idea really but I am open minded about it. I mean I suppose it is possible though I have never heard of it before now.

Mouthwash is a good idea too I guess but I know that bleach will do the job.

ScottZeagle:
The smilie things are DEFECTIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

:D
Do the smile things have as good a warranty as your gear Mr. Zeagle? :bang:

Marek,
When I get ready to pack my wing, I "remove" all of the air inside by "reverse inflation" with the B/C oral inflation device.

I don't get overly concerned about getting the inside of the bladder absolutely dry because after use, I rinse it a couple of times with tap water and then give it a thorough rinsing with a solution of water and Listerine or Cepacol and then do a final rinse. Drain it, hang it upside down to let as much water as possible drain down the inflation hose, drain it once again and then store it with a wee bit of air inside to keep the walls separated.

the K

The Kraken:
When I get ready to pack my wing, I "remove" all of the air inside by "reverse inflation" with the B/C oral inflation device.
Yep. Glad to hear I'm not the only one -- you, me, and Scott.
05.gif

The Kraken:
I don't get overly concerned about getting the inside of the bladder absolutely dry because after use, I rinse it a couple of times with tap water and then give it a thorough rinsing with a solution of water and Listerine or Cepacol and then do a final rinse.
People sure put a lot of trust in the anti-bacterial properties of Listerine. How confident are you about its effectiveness? Other than it kills odors, which I suppose is a good sign... that, and the fact that you (or Scott or I) have never gotten lung infections...

How about mold? :11:

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom