Drysuit Gator Ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jackass

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I have started diving with a drysuit (seven dives so far) and have been extremely frustrated with the percolating air that flows to my ankles, creating cankles, which throw my feet too high. So I admitted defeat and started wearing ankle weights. The cankles are still there, but the feet stay at good trim. And no I am not using too much air in the suit... anyway.

I feel like a chump for wearing the ankle weights and would prefer to go to a gator system, however, out of principal can't bring myself to pay what people want for them. There MUST be a simple DIY way. But most of my ideas so far have flaws. Any help?

When I started wearing the Viking insulated booties instead of regular socks it took up most of the room in the boots that air was previously occupying.
Ber :lilbunny:

It isn't the boot area that is the problem. I wear rockboots, so the air doesn't affect my feet per se. It inflates the area just above my ankles.

If you only have 7 dives in the suit, how do you know you're not inflating the suit to much? With a good fitting suit and proper technique, you won't need the gaiters. If you HAVE to buy them, keep an eye out or post a "wanted" ad here or on TDS. There seem to be alot of slightly used "H" gaiters floating around that people aren't using.

It isn't the boot area that is the problem. I wear rockboots, so the air doesn't affect my feet per se. It inflates the area just above my ankles.

Thanks for the clarification :D My suit has attached boots so I was inflating from the knee down. Does the suit fit properly and what kind of underwear are you using? My old suit was too big (wide) and even with heavy undies there was a lot of space for air to hang out in the legs. The calves of my new suit are basically "filled" by the undies down to where the booties go over them at the ankle. I had to wear ankle weights with the old suit but not with this one.
Ber :lilbunny:

If you only have 7 dives in the suit, how do you know you're not inflating the suit to much?

Because the last two dives I decided I wasn't going to put air into my suit unless it became actually painful (to see if I was putting too much air in the suit during previous dives.) So even with a squeeze, whenever I would rise my feet behind me I could feel small bubbles percolating along my back heading toward my feet, and up they would go! So I don't know what else to do? I'll be the first to admit that my suit isn't tailored exactly for my body by any means. But it keeps me dry and isn't a problem except for the lower leg issue.

I would hate to have the "H" word on any of my gear... so any DIY ideas?

I would hate to have the "H" word on any of my gear... so any DIY ideas?

Cut the logo patch off :D. Curious why you hate "H". P.M. info if you feel like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom