Drysuit maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jashaw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've seen many thread regarding how to maintain a drysuit in regards to salt water. But what do i have to do when i dive in fresh water? Is there any different methods that i should used compared to the salt water divers? Also, what is the best way to wash thinsulate underwear?
Thanks, Jason

Also, what is the best way to wash thinsulate underwear?
Thanks, Jason

I don't have any first hand experience, but the PADI Dry Suit Diver Manual says the following:

Note that you need to wash some undergarment materials - especially Thinsulate - without detergent or soap. Detergent or soap interferes with the material's ability to separate water into disconnected droplets, which is how it insulates even when wet.

If you must use detergent with a very dirty Thinsulate garment, use minimal detergent to ensure that no residue remains. Each washing with detergent or soap reduces the life of a Thinsulate garment, so avoid doing so unless absolutely necessary.

i read that in my SSI book also, it's not dirty my any means at all. It just has a little BO in the armpits. So it sounds like either fill the tub and hand wash with no soap or stick them in the washer w/ no soap and quote from the tag "machine wash warm-delicate cylcle. Tumble dry-low heat"

What I do is hang my undergarments over the rail on my back deck on a breezy day, wait 8 to 10 hours and bring into the house and have the wife give it a sniff test. If it passes the wife sniff test your dive buddies should not complain.

I've used quite a few different types of undergaments (polartec, thinsulate, etc).

I wash them with the tide detergent that has no dye/perfume and use only half the amount needed in the cup.

Never had a problem with warmth, water repelling, or any other issues after using detergent. They're good as new even after 20 - 30 or so washes.

Just make sure to NOT use any type of fabric softener.

I've seen many thread regarding how to maintain a drysuit in regards to salt water. But what do i have to do when i dive in fresh water? Is there any different methods that i should used compared to the salt water divers? Also, what is the best way to wash thinsulate underwear?
Thanks, Jason

With regards to the suit I would rinse it in much the same way. While you don't have salts to contend with you can pick up a bio-load that can get ugly. Depending where you doff it may need a rinse just to get rid of stray ground matter, clippings and such.

Pete

The best way to wash thinsulate is not to wash it at all. The shoe-grade thinsulates were not really intended for frequent cleaning, and a T400 suit can get heavy enough from being soaked that it will literally tear itself to pieces in a washer or if you try to hang it up to dry. And the slightest bit of detergent or other residue can destroy thinsulates insulating value and hydrophobic abilities.

Suit manufacturers often recommend non or low agitation washing using water with a little vinegar in it rather than a detergent, or a very lean mix of a no-residue detergent (available from sports and backpacking stores) and water followed by an extra rinse. Then let the suit drain for a while, well supported, before trying to hang or dry it. I like to wash and rinse it a tub not a machine, so the suit is well supported and can be minimally agitated without stressing it.

They also often recommend airing or spraying with an odor killer like Febreze rather than washing, whenever possible.

Back
Top Bottom