Drysuit snorkelling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the growing popularity of "wilderness swimming" or "wildswimming" in seas, lakes and rivers
I'm not sure what to make of the fact that we think we need a new word for what to me has always been just "swimming."

In modern times, I think that there have always been two varieties of swimming.

Swimming up and down indoor pools is foremost in the public conscientiousness because it can be associated with competitive sport at the highest level.

Outdoor swimming in seas, rivers and lakes, with rare exceptions, is much less associated with competitiveness and therefore regarded as a largely recreational activity. Some people take it to extremes, however, by swimming in very cold waters with minimal thermal protection.

As you say, surface swimming is still swimming and may not require a narrower definition to serve particular aquatic actvities. This said, I prefer a descriptive approach when addressing linguistic usage rather than prescription or proscription and hence I say what I find.

Hello everyone
Have you thought about the "birth suit", like Natalia Avseenko … not really a drysuit indeed

Travel report in the 24 May 2020 issue of Chicago Tribune newspaper concerning drysuit snorkelling for the purpose of beluga whale watching in the North of the Canadian province of Manitoba.

1706901098523.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom