Drysuit Training Poll

Did you take a drysuit course and do you feel they are necessary?

• Yes I took the course, yes they are absolutely necessary.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • Yes I took the course, no it is not absolutely necessary.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • No I did not take the course, but I think they are necessary.

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • No I did not take the course, I don't feel they are necessary.

Votes: 33 40.2%
  • Yes I took the course, yes they are absolutely necessary.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • Yes I took the course, no it is not absolutely necessary.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • No I did not take the course, but I think they are necessary.

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • No I did not take the course, I don't feel they are necessary.

Votes: 33 40.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MechDiver once bubbled...

I didn't *flame* anyone. I mearly spoke my mind concerning the poll. Is that not what polls are for?

Lets all wait until the poll is over and see if it accomplishes anything.

MD

I don't know...it looks like a pretty mixed bag to me...

MechDiver once bubbled...

I didn't *flame* anyone.
MD

Did tooooo!

Wait...wait...we don't want to argue...lets take a pole to decide.

lal7176 once bubbled...

I guess we should have known that you are the all mighty scuba god. This board is all about learning and sharing information.If you are annoyed by this thread wouldnt it be better not to participate in it rather than bad mouth somebody for starting a poll.Who knows maybe one day some of us might reach your level of diving and qualifications.Till then why dont you drop your bad attitude and quit taking your frustrations out on other members. :rolleyes:

We are touchy today...

lal7176 once bubbled...

Thats settles it.....start a poll.Oh yea i forgot a certain person will get annoyed by it.By the way mechdiver did you skip your coffee or something this morning?:D

I'm sorry, I have my very own pole now. You'll have to talk to me over there.

MD (who has his very own pole)

I took the full drysuit course because when I did my Advanced course out in Saskatchewan, we did not do a drysuit dive, they were all done in wetsuits. So, after 73 dives in my wetsuit, I finally decided to purchase a drysuit (read: the winter months came along....). Due to my lack of drysuit knowledge previously, thought it woudl be a good idea to do the course, it wasn't that much more. Although, afterwards I feel that I probably could've learnt it all just by trying and diving and talking to people, I'm still glad I took the course, cause it just made me learn all that much faster and concentrate more on attaining better buoyancy and trim than just how to work the drysuit.

ibnygator once bubbled...
but this quote sure makes a lot of sense to me.
MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Like anything else there are many little things to know and a class should shorten the learning curve.
I want to know all of the little tricks as soon as possible and not have to find them out on my own. Besides, if you buy from your LDS, the class is thrown in. :thumb:
That depends... most LDS drysuit courses will teach you to only use your buoyancy control device for a surface inflated life preserver... and to use your drysuit for a buoyancy control device.

Now that lengthens the learning curve considerable... if learning how to correctly use your drysuit is the goal.

Of course if you are content to ride the bubble and wear a correspondingly heavier weight belt whilst rototilling huge trenches in the bottom... then... yes... I guess it shortens the learning curve.

All I would recommend if you don't take the class is to inform the person with whom you may be diving that it is possible that you may disappear in a vertical manner. I went out early last year with someone in a new drysuit. From talking I had assumed that he was reasonably familiar with the operation of the suit. At one point I watched him head to the surface slightly feet up trying to dump air by pressing the dump valve. Afterward it came out that he was signed up to take the class.

JoelW

all drysuit couses seem to teach using the suit for bouyancy...it just seems dumb.

Why don't the standards teach reality?

I think it is a good idea to have someone go over the new techniques with you and keep an eye out for explosive surfacing but it just doesn't make sense to me to take a course to learn how to do it wrong

Back
Top Bottom