Drysuit Undies on the cheap...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ron,

You had better check out Ocean Liners, 207-479-3347. She uses the same materias, Malden Mills with DUI. You can get the custom made upper undi or vest in that price range.

http://cgi.ebay.com/300wt-Polartec-Dry-suit-Liner-CUSTOM_W0QQitemZ7179692685QQcategoryZ73994QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck.

RonFrank:
I don't get cold easily. However I realized that my T100 undies are NOT going to cut it in 40F water. So, has anyone explored the possibility of using something like this:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat470076&id=0027487980011a&navCount=6&podId=0027487&parentId=cat21126&navAction=push&catalogCode=XF&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat21126&hasJS=true

I don't get cold on my lower half easily, and thought this may be a solution, plus I could use it hunting!

I have the Cold Gear mock T (sans the zipper) and it's nice for athletic stuff (XC skiing, running, etc) in the cold. Might be a nice baselayer for underneath something like Darin posted. I get cold easily, so wouldn't be enough on its own for me.

RonFrank:
I don't get cold easily. However I realized that my T100 undies are NOT going to cut it in 40F water. So, has anyone explored the possibility of using something like this:

I'm an avid hunter, trapper, and ice fisherman.

Here's what I'm using now:

MEC - Powerdry Union Suit - Polyester $65.00 CDN

Helly-Hansen Speiz Thermals - Polyester/Pile Materials $120.00 CDN

Polypropylene / Polyester type materials should be used as a base-layer. This will wick moisture away from your skin to the outer layers of thermal protection. It should be very thin so as to not trap air or restrict movement.

The actual thermal layer should be a poly/pile type combination material. It will keep you warm, but not trap air or moisture, yet retain heat.

I successfully use this setup in water temps as low as 36F, and stay warm n' dry. I have full range of movement to boot. It also works equally well above water for hunting, icefishing, snowmobiling, snowboarding/skiing, and a plethora of other outdoor winter activities. I even wore mine winter survival / camping where we had to build our own shelters out of snow. It was a blast, but I suspect I would have been miserable like some of my companions had I not known about thermal layering. :D

That Speiz thing could be promising. I'd like to see a comparison of the insulation in there to Thinsulate.

jonnythan:
That Speiz thing could be promising. I'd like to see a comparison of the insulation in there to Thinsulate.
and how would it work when the suit is flooded.

The Bare T-200 with thick polypropolene underware may do the trick. I have the Bare T-200 but I think the Bare undergarments are over rated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom