Drysuit Weight Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, this gal loves her 6 pound steel backplate! Reduces how much I have to carry in my pockets. :D

For personal reasons, I have to limit what I carry on my upper back. I wear all weight on a belt.

I have the same suit and use less weight than diving with a 7mm wet suit. I dive with 22 lbs. I do not use ankle weights. Make sure you have neutrally or negatively bouyant fins.
First I would take a dry suit class from a good instructor or dive with someone with lots of experience with their own dry suit. PADI teaches to use only your dry suit for bouyancy control. This is not correct. Go to the DUI web site and go to the dry suit instruction manual. It is important to learn properly so you don't ballon feet first in a dangerous ascent. Air in your dry suit vents slower than a bcd. It could be possible that you did not vent all the air out of your dry suit before descending. I dive with a x7 steel 100 cu tank and that takes off 6 lbs. + weight off my weight system.
Again it is important to get some training either from an instructor or another good dry suit diver. It is a safety necessity. Read the DUI manual. Learning the skill will ensure efficient, safe, and fun diving.

Hope this helps.

Good health and good diving.

For personal reasons, I have to limit what I carry on my upper back. I wear all weight on a belt.

And I am the opposite. Even with lower back problems, wearing the steel backplate has eliminated the tug of a weight belt around my waist. and, greatly improved my trim.

And I am the opposite. Even with lower back problems, wearing the steel backplate has eliminated the tug of a weight belt around my waist. and, greatly improved my trim.

Trim's where it's at!! :)

So -- no one has answered my question - is 28 pounds within the range of "normal"?

I went from 10Lbs in a 5mm wetty to 20 Lbs in a compressed neoprene dry.
The extra weight killed my lower back and i shall be bloody grateful to be using my SS plate next time out!
I dont know if that qualifies as an answer for you. It was for me :)

Trim is the "ting"!

(The undergarments would have a huge effect on the required weight. I had just shorts and rash vest on)
(oh! yeah! and i like those "weight plates" what a good idea)

Last edited:
So -- no one has answered my question - is 28 pounds within the range of "normal"?

Yes, but only for Harley drivers. :)

It depends on so many variables. Suit construction, amount and loft of undergarments, tank etc etc.

I went from 10Lbs in a 5mm wetty to 20 Lbs in a compressed neoprene dry.

Yes, but only for Harley drivers. :)

It depends on so many variables. Suit construction, amount and loft of undergarments, tank etc etc.

Oh, I see how it is! :scorned:

I'll have to ride my Harley in the water if I ever want to dive dry!

:rofl3: :kiss2:

Back
Top Bottom