Question DSMB + Spool Bolted to Backplate hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Picture? No. You've got holes along the sides of your BP. You bolt the ring into the hole of your choice. It sticks out from the BP. Not in the way while diving, easy to find and to clip to.

I have one of these attached to the bottom of my backplate with book screws.

1712426949631.png

Do you have a picture of it in use?
Yes ! So the ring is hard bolted to your back plate. Even though it may seem like it would rub against the wing, there is not a mark on mine after 15 years with the same ring, same wing and over 2000 dives on my rig. The SMB on the left is a fish elevator up to the boat so the captain can get it away from the sharks. The SMB on the right is also a fish elevator, but it has a yellow pre-printed 'Check-mark-boxes' with a pencil included and is my U/W Txt Msg back up to the boat on the current conditions underwater so that Team #2 can prepare in advance of their dive. This also is why the bolt snaps are different lengths & styles. I can tell by feel which I need to pull and use just by touch.

I can tell you from experience, Do not under estimate the wiggle factor in floppy D-rings when in a hurry. It's not just aggravating, in my predator's case it's time consuming & dangerous.

Ring_Solid.jpg

Bought a pair of Halcyon Tech shorts (yes they are expensive) but they will save me money in the long run. It seemed no matter how I looped the line on my reel to the bolt clip it eventually worked the clip open & I lost 2 reels/smb's in about 6 months. They fit fine over a 3 mill or 5 mill. They run small - look at6 the size chart if you buy.

View attachment 835011

These are super-handy for making attachments to your backplate.
Are these allowed in DIR diving?

I try to avoid exposing my sausage when out in public - so I second 2airishuman's approach: a pocket zip-tied onto the base of backplate: it's streamlined and keeps my sausage discreetly out of sight and out of the way until I need to use it.

I try to avoid danglies on my sides and front: particularly smbs/reels that seem to have a natural urge to unspool/unclip/snag when you least want it.

For drysuit dives the smb lives in my drysuit pocket with the spool already attached.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Screenshot 2024-04-07 131339.png

Back
Top Bottom