Dss ss/hog/lcd30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a continuation to this thread, last night I met with a friend that purchased a Halcyon Eclipse 30lbs wing (like me, from the internet, with no opportunity to see it before buying).

I just want to tell you that I am very happy for all the threads and advices found here to go for DSS.

My comparison between my LCD30 and the Eclipse is:
- the Halcyon wing has a thinner outer shell, and the inner bladder is made from some kind of cordura, even thinner
- the lower valve on the Halcyon wing has wider openings (I see this as a higher risk to get some dirt into it) and a very thin pull wire (very hard to hold with bare fingers, with gloves it might be probably hard to find). It has no "click" feeling at the end of the movement - and I like this "click" feeling on my valve
- the H corrugated hose is not centred, which I see as an opportunity to form an air bubble on the opposite side of the corrugated hose (we'll see this in the water)
- the inflator is the same generic brand as DSS (identical)
- the H corrugated hose is slightly longer (easier to oral inflate), but it somehow looks uglier
- the harness is again thinner, softer - i like the "solid" feeling of mine
- the D-rings are also slightly thinner
- the D-ring buckles are not serrated and - you guessed it - thinner
- the waist buckle is very very thin and fragile compared to the DSS one; it just looks like the buckle of a very cheap weight belt
- the H uses a STA, so you have to screw/unscrew every time for single tank usage

On the funny side - it came assembled (stealing the pleasure of assembling it). For some reason (yet to be discussed with the LDS), the harness was too short. Short as in not long enough to close the waist buckle when adjusted for the body of the owner (who by all means is not fat or big). It was so lovely to receive 4 meters of harness from DSS and cut it as needed.

Overall, if when I opened the DSS box I was impressed by the quality and built of every item, the Halcyon looked just plain/generic - not in the cheap area, but not in the impressive area also. I guess it gets the job done, but it should be 20-30% cheaper than DSS to have a fair price. Just the blue H is not enough to make an impressive product.

So thank you all DSS supporters here for convincing me to buy from DSS instead of some better known brand. It's nice to have pleasant surprises when you compare your rig with the others.

I'm glad to hear of another satisfied DSS user. I just ordered mine on Tuesday, it's due here on Friday and I can't wait to get my hands on it and get it wet!

Back
Top Bottom