DST vs DS4 and Reg Clips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is actually amusing.

Two GUE instructors told me Oring, G3 has said cave line repeatedly.

The GUE's instructor's concerns weren't so much for ripping off the reg due to OOA, but due to entanglement issues (which didn't make much sense to me, its why I carry a knife).

That's pretty much the lowdown,
jeff

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
2 Quick questions.

1. Whats the low down and the big diff between DST's and DS4's?

2. Whats everyones opinion on Oring vs Cord for Clips on Regs.?

So How often would one be in an OOA emerg, with a clipped off main reg?
On deco? I would think that this would be a rather relaxed situation, so the need to donate a reg in a hurry would not really be there.
Just a thought.
Dave

bengiddins once bubbled...
Unfortunately the Australian equivalent to ScubaBoard has a number of very vocal DIR-bashers, which is probably slowing down acceptance. Australians are a very computer literate mob, so unfortunately DIR is going to take a lot longer to be accepted downunder because of the bad worth of mouth it receives.

Its not really suprising, Once again the acronym is the issue, and also the bad apples.
Most Aussies hate to be told they Doing it wrong. We are also a very lazy and casual mob, the winds of change blow softly, every thing is just too hard. To quote a well used saying.
"She'll be right mate"

We also have very few caves in Oz, so we dont have a strong cave community to push DIR and better tecniques.
A very large percentage of divers are sub tropical type of divers, not too deep not too cold, easy stuff. Its cheap and easy. I also think we generally have the "short arms, long pockets" syndrome. With Halcyon/DR gear being so expensive (allow for exhange rate). It out of the reach of most.
How would you feel if I said to you from here on in, everything your going to buy is double the price?
Kind of puts a few people off.
I also may be way off track here, If so, forgive my assumptions.
Dave

Cost no doubt is a big factor - a Pioneer wing is going to set someone back at least $700 AUD. I did see however that someone on the diveoz board came up with a backplate design, and is getting a batch of cheap backplates made for a number of users. Not sure what they plan on doing for wings though.

Ive seen many Local Made BP's in Perth, there is a company who knocks them out for about $100.00 Ill have to find out the name and post it.

Maybe there is a biz opertunity there Ben???

In a deco situation, you donate the deco bottle, as I recall (that is, what's in your mouth).

So the only time you'd desire a breakaway (excepting rebreather) is when you switched to your backup reg for some reason, and clipped your primary off. I can't think of when that "should" happen on a dive, offhand :)

jeff

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
So How often would one be in an OOA emerg, with a clipped off main reg?
On deco? I would think that this would be a rather relaxed situation, so the need to donate a reg in a hurry would not really be there.
Just a thought.
Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom