DUI "cave cut" question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amphibian,

I have the DUI CLX450 and I love it. Great suit. I used it for my cavern and basic cave course, and it worked very well. I do agree with the suggestions to get a custom so you have pockets. I didn't do that, but I am going to have some pockets added for convenience.

The 450 is really quite trim, which is helpful in the cave. But it also allows a full range of motion so valve drills are doable.

Just make sure you trim the wrist and neck seals properly. When we trimmed mine at the LDS, the neck seal was not quite tight enough and I had to replace it within a year.

Jeff

I will be buying from an LDS, so they will measure me. Also I'm not rushing thru all of the phases of the cave course, have cavern next month, then will make multiple cavern dives. Once i'm comfortable with them and feel ready. I will then move to intro. I plan on making quite a few dives at the intro level and waiting for my better half to do her cavern and intro courses before moving on to apprentice and full.

Good advice though, no rush

Chris

1amphibian:
I know basically nothing about drysuits, so I'll say that up front. With that said, I have my cavern course next month and will be taking classes up to full cave in hopefully rapid progression.

I am starting to research DUI Drysuits and like the tls350. A question I have is that on the DUI site. It says that to get the "cave cut", one has to sign a waiver as it may restrict range of motion.

1,Does anyone know exactly what the restrictions may be and if so, 2,why is it offered and 3,what are the advantages to that particular option? ie less drag from reduced material or what?

Chris:confused:

My understanding was that some of Florida cave divers (WKPP) who preferred the TLS 350 suits would order them custom cut, yet they always came back a little wrong, with a little too much bag here or there, so they started giving the wrong measurements on purpose to trick DUI into making the correct cut. For example, if their waist measured 34" they might say 32" - though I'm just making that number up. Today this is just known as the cave cut and can be requested from DUI if you sign a waiver. A correctly measured cave cut suit should allow full range of motion, however they are snugger than regular custom suits, especially at the legs, and can become problematic if you put on weight later... plus there's that waiver...

Doc Intrepid:
I agree with Loosebits.

Go with a custom DUI drysuit in a 'standard cut'. The custom drysuit comes with a pocket on each thigh, kneepads, either rock boots or turbosoles, and other items that you would want to add to the base suit order anyway...so you're not paying some huge premium over and above what you would pay anyway. Plus, the suit is cut exactly to your measurements (which tends to eliminate a lot of loose material right there).
Doc

I concur. Just be very (very) careful who measures you for the suit (although DUI is supposed to be on the hook to fix it if the measurer screws up)

I have a buddy who got a cave cut (although he measured himself) and couldn't get the 400G thinsulate under it. Also, they can be really tight in the legs (as a lot of people that use them scooter a lot)

I have the sig series, and it worked out really well for me.

Best advice I can give is to ask other DUI owners, who were measured for their drysuits by the guy who will be measuring you, about the fit of their suits. If you find a shop that does a high volume of Signature or Special Production sales then the person doing the measuring will know what he (or she) is doing and you can ask for references. It is a large chunk of coin to slap down on the counter and you want it to fit the first time around.:D

well, I have TLS sig that I was measure for last year at DEMA. Im 6'4 ~280 so custom fit was needed, who better to measure me than actuall DUI employees... horrible fit!, it is so baggy around my waist and back... unfortunately I didn't know it was a bad fit untill after I put on around 40 dives or so... Ill know better for next time I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom