DUI vs. BARE drysuits, best reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BORG

Contributor
Reaction score
Tucker, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta
# of dives
100 - 199
I will take the DS course at my LDS after the 1st of the year and rent a suit after that. These folks rent DUI trilams from what I understand.
Later on when and I know I will fall in love with the DUI suit, what is the best route to go in getting a DUI suit. Buy one off of Ebay or bite the bullet and get an entry level DUI suit. I like the cut of the DUI suits compared to the BARE Nex-Gen's garbage bag look.
Any advice from DUI and BARE Nex-Gen users would be helpful?

THANKS!

Biting the bullet = custom fit.

Bite the bullet.

:)

You're comparing two different things. Look at the equivalent suits of different vendors, I don't think DUI has anyhing of an entry level suit like the Nexgen, especially pricewise.

If you're going for a custom fit, you really have nothing to discuss here.

I will take the DS course at my LDS after the 1st of the year and rent a suit after that. These folks rent DUI trilams from what I understand.
Later on when and I know I will fall in love with the DUI suit, what is the best route to go in getting a DUI suit.

If the rental fits you well, ask your LDS to sell it to you at a discount off the price of a brand new one.

Ask the LDS if they'll credit rental payments towards purchase of a new suit.

Plenty of ways to skin a trilaminate cat.

You can bargain hunt and get a nice used DUI, but if you want it to fit perfectly I suggest you get a signature series, unless you're extremely lucky and fit right into a stock size. I likely won't ever dive a different brand of suit after owning a DUI.

Here's my review on the CF200x.

Good luck with the search. I'm also a fan of getting a less expensive starter suit till you know exactly what you want!

I will probably go with a stock suit if I can tell that a rental stock size will fit me OK. The DUIs cost enough as it is and if I can go stock I will.

I will probably go with a stock suit if I can tell that a rental stock size will fit me OK. The DUIs cost enough as it is and if I can go stock I will.

Make sure you go through the motions.

And that's not a figure of speech.

At the very least, try this while in the shop: Range of Motion

I own a DUI even though I get Key-person pricing on BARE (all of my wetsuits are BARE and I have no plans of ever switching to any other in the future). So why go with the DUI? Simple; DUI offers COLORS! I am sick of looking like a wanna-be Green Beret or SEAL clad in Black on Black with Black trim! Other than that, I purchased a DUI because I can afford it. If money where an issue, I'd go with the BARE every time. To be honest, from what I read, you are falling victim to what almost all of did when we first got into the sport. Its like "information/equipment manufacturer over-load"!!!! DUI offers a great product but you will pay a premium for the name recognition.

Later on when and I know I will fall in love with the DUI suit, what is the best route to go in getting a DUI suit. Buy one off of Ebay or bite the bullet and get an entry level DUI suit. I like the cut of the DUI suits compared to the BARE Nex-Gen's garbage bag look.
Any advice from DUI and BARE Nex-Gen users would be helpful?

THANKS!

Hi, hopefully you can try a few on before you decide...FWIW, I have the Viking Pro, DUI CF 200, Diving Concepts crushed neoprene, and a Bare ATR HD. Out of all of them I'd say I like the new Bare ATR HD best because its well made, comfortable, fairly priced, and front entry. (I use my Viking thermals and booties) I also like the fact that the suit inflator whip is a regular LP inflator connection, not a "special" sort of fitting. The other thing I notice regarding my Bare suit is that it's not as "form fitting" and a little baggier than my past drysuits, I don't mind this and I have not had any problems with trapped air. Have fun on your suit search!

Poog :coffee:

Howdy

I took the route of attending DUI Dog Days out in Virginia, got a real good understanding of what model would best fit my diving desires AND my "off the rack" body...then totally lucked out on EBay picking up a "no-kidding" new TLS350 for less than $900. No...I don't usually have that kind of luck.

Biggest lesson...learning from the Scubaboarders on this forum what to look for in a dry suit ("fit", not brand was the most prominant lesson). Many thanks to each of them.

Dane

Back
Top Bottom