Dumaguete Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Triggerman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, My wife and I are travelling to the Philippines for the first time and staying in dumaguete for 10 days in Jan. Looking for advice on must see dive sites in the area. Also looking for any advice on non diving activities. Thanks for your help.

Definitely Dauin for muck diving. & Sumilon for the white beach & crystal clear turquoise waters!
Must try our famous local dessert called 'halo-halo' in a buco shell at Jo's.
The famous sansrival of Dumaquete also. =)

Hello, My wife and I are travelling to the Philippines for the first time and staying in dumaguete for 10 days in Jan. Looking for advice on must see dive sites in the area. Also looking for any advice on non diving activities. Thanks for your help.

I just came back from Dauin (stayed at Atmosphere Resort). The Apo Island is a must dive destination. Don't miss it.

In the Dauin area, I liked Sahara Reef, Malaposod (both North and South) and Dauin South reefs. For night dives, don't miss the Bahura Reef dive at Dusk to see the Mandarin Fish.

This past August I staid and dove with El Dorado Beach resort - Couldn't have been better. The high light was going to Apo Island. El Dorado has a 3 tank trip there + BBQ on the boat - wonderful day ! The muck dive in front of the resort is not to be missed !

For non-diving activities go to the Malatapay Market on Wednesday. It's quite an experience to see. From all the animals being transported in all kinds of ways to the market itself. You can buy a water buffalo if you want, or have yummy lechon, or buy handmade goods from hill tribespeople. It really is not to be missed even if your not a farmer like me.

There are many good dive resorts around Dumaguete. I've tried El Dorado, Pura Vida, and on my latest trip Mike's Beach Resort. Mikes was great, highly recommended. Brand new place with only 12 rooms, but reasonably priced, and has a good restaurant; internet and cable TV for non diving companions. Rate for standard room was P2500.
http://mikes-beachresort.com/

We did a 3 dive trip to Apo Island, and had some nice dives in the closer reefs too. There are some nature trips for the brave: Casarora Falls (strenuous!), Twin Lakes, Forest Camp are all nearby. As mentioned the market at Malatapay is fun, Wednesdays only.

Attachments

• All Rooms.jpg
    All Rooms.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 63
  • At the Pool.jpg
    At the Pool.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 130
  • Apo.jpg
    Apo.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 68
  • coral.jpg
    coral.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 60
  • Clowns.jpg
    Clowns.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Eels.jpg
    Eels.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Frogfish.jpg
    Frogfish.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Idol.jpg
    Idol.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Nudibranch couple.jpg
    Nudibranch couple.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 53
  • A sweetlips.jpg
    A sweetlips.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 58
There are many good dive resorts around Dumaguete. I've tried El Dorado, Pura Vida, and on my latest trip Mike's Beach Resort. Mikes was great, highly recommended. Brand new place with only 12 rooms, but reasonably priced, and has a good restaurant; internet and cable TV for non diving companions. Rate for standard room was P2500.
Mikes Dauin Beach Resort - Dumaguete, Philippines

Hi,
I am also planning to go to Dauin, and am now thinking of staying at Mike's Beach Resort. Were you happy as well of the dive organisation and of the dive guides?
Thanks.
Malene

Mikes Dive Shop is just fine. He ran it for years out of Dumaguete as Adventure Dive Shop before opening the resort in Nov 2009, so despite being new, he is professional and experienced. He has several good dive guides. I had a minor equipment failure of my Scubapro Air 2 which they repaired at his shop immediately, saved the day. As we were leaving, my non-diving companion said "Honey, can we come back to Mikes?" I felt the same way.

Back
Top Bottom