Dungeness Crane dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack321

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A few weeks ago Austin and I took advantage of a decent slack tide to do the Dungeness Crane. Its wicked exposed to wind, weather and currents in the Strait of Juan de Fuca. The crane apparently fell off a barge a number of years ago. How, why, and exactly when it fell off the barge is unknown. The crane sits in about 88fsw on a vast sand bottom. Its the only structure around and the fish know it. We did about 37mins on the bottom, average depth 78fsw-ish and 5min ascent. We scootered it from a dead boat, probably not the best plan since the current was something fierce by the time we started our ascent. But no problems, was a fun dive with lots of life. Here's some video from my CSI cam:

Dungeness Crane on Vimeo

This dive was a lot of fun and a lot of great structure. Great Video RJ. I do believe that's the last time I'll be out in the strait without a live boat. I was in third or fourth gear just to stay even with the accent line, but the bottom was still swimable at parts, and very fun. Once again thanks for including me Richard it was a ton of fun.

Austin

Eh live boat not required IMO. Just someone aboard who can unhook from the anchor line and come get you if required. Glad we didn't have to call CG group Port Angeles :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom