Dust cap left off while soaking Reg

Do you soak or rinse your regs?

• Soak (or rinse and soak)

Votes: 62 51.7%
  • Rinse (or dunk, but not soak)

Votes: 58 48.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vndoc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So...I left my scubapro MK25/S600 in a freshwater soak last night and when I pulled it out this AM, I realized the dust cap had not been put in place during the soak. I've left it to dry out with the cap off, but I am obviously concerned. Should I bring it in for servicing? Thanks in advance for any advice.

So...I left my scubapro MK25/S600 in a freshwater soak last night and when I pulled it out this AM, I realized the dust cap had not been put in place during the soak. I've left it to dry out with the cap off, but I am obviously concerned. Should I bring it in for servicing? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I will punt on the service question but you should not submerge a first stage with a dust cap affixed. Simply rinse well or if you soak keep pressurized via pony cylinder, etc.

Where in Fla are you? Scott

Take it in to get it serviced. Fresh water intrusion is not a huge deal, you have not done any damage, but if any water remains in the 1st stage gets blasted into the SPG it will likely ruin it (the SPG). Other than that, fresh water intrusion may just shorten the interval between services (by removing some lubrication from internal o-rings).

A "field repair" is to remove all hoses and port plugs, put the regulator on a tank, and run air through it (tank air is super-dry, will quickly dry the first stage), then replace all hoses and again put the first stage on a tank, and purge the 2nd stage(s) to get water out of those hoses.... then you should be good-to-go until you can get it serviced.

Salt water intrusion = immediate service after the dive.

Fresh water intrusion = ASAP service, after the dive trip /vacation pehaps.... if I knew the water was 100% clean (not a dunk tank on a dive boat), I personally might skip the service after doing the "field repair" (but I do service my own regs, so I'd just keep an eye on it, and if it started to act up would just rebuild it....).

Regarding soaking.... I very respectfully disagree, Valhalla. If the reg has a good dust cap, and the cap is used properly, soaking is the single best thing you can do to keep your regulator (and most gear) happy. The key is making sure the dustcap is on properly (and not to forget to put it on).

Best wishes (and good luck with your reg.... but it should be just fine!)

service should not be necessary.

Remove the HP hose from the`1st stage. Then attach the rests of the first stage with the HP port open to tank an connect your LPI hose to your BCD and turn the air on. Air will be blowing out the open HP port with good bit of noise bu not much air usage. Purge each 2nd stage and your inflator to clear water out of those channels. Give each one about a 10 second burst. Then shut the tank down. At this point, everything should be dry and fine except the HP hose. If you can remove the gauge from the hose, you could reattach it to the 1st stage and blow it out with another minute or two of pressure. Otherwise, just let it hang in a dry area with the open hose pointing down for a while (overnight) and then connect everything back up. You should have no problem and no unnecessary expense.

I'm not really sure the effort of drying the HP hose separately is really necessary; but I'm not sure it isn't either.

The advice above pretty much covers what needs to happen currently.

For the future with the Scubapro yoke cover I wouldn't recommend more than a quick immersion. If it is DIN and the screw on cover has a cut out to let the o-ring seat, let it soak as much as you want. Those are my thoughts from an MK25 owner.

Remove SPG, hook up to tank and blow any water out. I would not be worried with fresh water. If you are still worried take it to a dive shop, get them to check out the first stage. This should take no more than about 10 minutes.

Same thing happened to me a while back and I got some good advice in this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/243044-flooded-first-stage-sigh.html

Yep, blow it out. I'd start with all the hoses off the reg, all the LP port plugs in place, and blow out the HP ports. Then I'd put the HP plugs in and blow out the LP ports. On a MK25 get ready for a serious blast of air when all the LP plugs are out. Make sure there's a cat sleeping in the area if you want a good laugh.

I'd blow a pretty good amount of air through it. You'll have to do it in bursts or you might get some icing. Then attach the two 2nd stages and LP inflator and blow a bit more air through them. Finally, as Awap suggested, take the SPG off the HP hose if you can, watch out for the little spool in there, take it out too, and blow that hose out.

If you use a good portion of a tank of air doing this and consequently have to get a new fill, it'll help to remind you not to forget the dust cap again.

Regarding soaking.... I very respectfully disagree, Valhalla. If the reg has a good dust cap, and the cap is used properly, soaking is the single best thing you can do to keep your regulator (and most gear) happy. The key is making sure the dustcap is on properly (and not to forget to put it on).

That's alot of caveats. My method is 100% guaranteed to work...:)

That's alot of caveats. My method is 100% guaranteed to work...:)

I've always soaked my regs not pressurised. They've done 300+ dives now and I have always been told after they are serviced or examined that they are in very good condition. YMMV. I have SP MK11/S555+R295 regs, plus Zeagles but the Zeagles are pressurised when I wash them as I tend to leave my twinset assembled.

I've always soaked my regs not pressurised. They've done 300+ dives now and I have always been told after they are serviced or examined that they are in very good condition. YMMV. I have SP MK11/S555+R295 regs, plus Zeagles but the Zeagles are pressurised when I wash them as I tend to leave my twinset assembled.

Sounds like you will be able to pass the Zeagles to your grandchildren...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom