Dutch Springs accident 9/16/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetFatCat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I withessed an accident yesterday at Dutchspring. Staff got a diver from the water and performed CPR and oxygen at the left side of the peninsula. The man has been goten by an ambulance. Staf and police gathered and investigated man's gear.

Does anybody has updates? What is diver's condition? Any accident analysis?

We were there when it happened. At first we thought he had a heart attack but later on was told that when he was surfacing his hood was too tight and it appeared that his hood literally cut his air flow right off. He was a big guy, around 300 lbs.

He was unconscious and blue/purple when he reached the surface but after EMS worked on him his color was returning.

I was able to witness the events of yesterday and whilst I am not sure on the details I was absolutely impressed with the speed of the response. As a physician I was very impressed with the DS teams response and the speed with which help was given. Whilst the element of panic is unavoidable I was impressed that the DS team sprung into action hastily and seemed to have a very co-ordinated and effective response not only to the event but also to aiding in reviving him. I can say that whilst the EMS were helpful it was the initial response of the DS team members that led to his hopefully succesful response. Seeing that makes me very comfortable to dive at DS.

Rumor has it that the diver regained consciousness on the ambulance ride to the hospital. The quick response of all involved was impressive. The diver was brought to shore quickly, the wetsuit was removed in seconds, and the team of first responders/good samaritans and Dutch Springs staff worked together liked a well oiled machine.

Good news !! Another reason for me to get on the treadmill.

He was asking what happened after being loaded into the ambulance, haven't heard what his condition was after transport. The hood/wetsuit being too tight was the best guess of the people on the scene,probably cut off his carotid artery and basically choked him out. I was watching through binoculars from above the water park and his face looked extremely bloated even from that distance. Two instructors, one from Dudas and one from Marvel along with another diver from Dudas were the ones to pull him out and start cpr, along with an emergency room doctor who just happened to be diving. Them along with the Dutch Springs staff definitely did a wonderful job, hopefully he is home recovering and looking for a bigger wetsuit. (his was cut to shreds, no danger of that one choking him again!!)

I sure would hate to be the salesperson who fitted him for that suit and hood. Or better yet, I wonder if he bought it online. If that were the case, he would be the poster child for the personal service a LDS can give you over the internet. Or maybe he just gained so much friggen weight since he last dove... note to self...cardio exercise....

I was on the student side and didn't even hear about it till after I left Dutch and stoped in at LVDC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom