Dynamite injures fisherman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DonCebu

Contributor
Reaction score
[h=1]Dynamite injures fisherman[/h]Tuesday, November 29, 2011
A FISHERMAN from Barangay Ibo, in Lapu-Lapu City was sent to the hospital yesterday morning after the dynamite he allegedly used blew off his left hand and some parts of his neck.

Luckily, Eugene Salbaña, 34, survived the explosion and is currently in critical condition in a hospital in Cebu City.

At around 9 a.m. yesterday, Salbaña together with another fisherman, was about to returned to shore in Sitio Apro in Barangay Ibo.

They were about 200 miles from the coastline when Salbaña decided to throw dynamite,as he was not contented with his present catch.

His friend objected to Salbaña’s idea, but he couldn’t convince him to do otherwise.

As his friend rowed back to shore, Salbaña decided to light the dynamite stick after spotting a school of fish passing below his boat.

But after lighting the dynamite, he was shocked to find that the school was gone. He also failed to realize that the fuse on his makeshift dynamite had already run out.

Just as his friend was about to reach the shore, an explosion occurred behind him just across Salbaña’s banca.

Rosalinda Noynay, who lives with Salbaña, first noticed that the victim had fallen from his boat, said SPO1 Allan Pantaleon of Lapu-Lapu City Police Office (LLCPO) Crimes Against Persons Desk (CAPD).

When he returned to where the boat was, he Salbana floating around, with a bleeding stump on where his left hand was. The left side of his face was also bleeding and disfigured.

After police officers assessed the incident, Salbaña was immediately brought to the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center (VSMMC) for medical help.

Meanwhile, last Saturday, Chinese underwater photographers had a close call with death after illegal fishermen threw dynamite just above their dive site.

Five Chinese nationals, who were participants of the 1st Asian Federation Underwater Photography Competition, went to a dive site in Barangay Punta Engaño to conduct a practice dive.

While three divers were below, two Chinese nationals and their guide suddenly encountered another boat with three men onboard.

They attempted to warn the men that divers were below, but they didn’t heed their warning.

Then suddenly one of three men pulled out a stick of dynamite and threw it into the water. One of the Chinese nationals even took pictures of the three men.

As the dynamite exploded, the other boat, with the three suspects, fled.

While the three Chinese divers went to surface and told their companions that their ears hurt from the explosion.

They reported the incident to the local police.

For some reason I am happy when I read of a dynamite fisherman getting injured !

Maybe I will go down to the hospital to laugh in his face and take pictures of him !

Often when I am diving I hear dynamite, it scares the crap out of me every time.

200 miles from shore in a rowboat? I'm surprised he even made it back... Typo from the news?

I remember diving once around Hilutungan, we could hear and feel loud consecutive thuds - turns out there were some poachers some distance away dynamite fishing (probably just outside the sanctuary). It really does scare the crap out of you.

Keep us posted if they catch the SOBs who threw some dynamite even when warned about divers in the area. Maybe the Chinese national can post the photo he took.

Last edited:
For some reason I am happy when I read of a dynamite fisherman getting injured !

Maybe I will go down to the hospital to laugh in his face and take pictures of him !

100% agreed, please post the pics of this SOB!

200 miles from shore in a rowboat? I'm surprised he even made it back... Typo from the news?

I remember diving once around Hilutungan, we could hear and feel loud consecutive thuds - turns out there were some poachers some distance away dynamite fishing (probably just outside the sanctuary). It really does scare the crap out of you.

Keep us posted if they catch the SOBs who through some dynamite even when warned about divers in the area. Maybe the Chinese national can post the photo he took.

Our newspapers here are famous for typos. I am guessing they meant 200 Meters.

Actually the dynamite can be used islands away, but the sound travels underwater and can almost feel like it is next to you. So yeah it still scares the crap out of you. I can't imagine have dynamite thrown directly above me.

If the pictures are posted for sure I will post them here. But I am sure the dynamite fisherman will look like any other local fisherman. ( super dark skin like leather )

first off let me say that i m no supporter of dynamite fishing. i hv experienced it whilst diving and i reali hate it. it always makes my heart skip a beat or two when it goes off.

however having said that, i also sympathize with these fishermen. at the end of the day, they r also trying to make a living... hopefully a better life for themselves and their families. i mean what can they do besides fishing? r there any alternative employment for them? is the govt going to give them handouts?

its easy for us (myself included) to criticize them and their ethics but take a step back and consider their situation. if u r born into such an environment with little or no education, what are u going to do? what can u do? ur father, possibly ur grandfather was a fisherman and that is probably the only skillset that they have passed on to u. what can u do other than to continue fishing and try to make a living out of it.

so yes i hate dynamic fishing and do not support it but think abt the fishermen. they too r fellow human beings. someone's son, someone's husband, someone's father....

I will limit my reactions to the cases cited above, and try not to go into generalizations. In the two cases cited above, the 1st fisherman blew his hand off when he wasn't observing proper safety protocols using explosives during the performance of an otherwise illegal act. Did he have a choice in lighting that fuse? Yes he did, and in fact, his companion probably exercised better judgement than he did. In the 2nd case cited, the fishermen threw a stick of dynamite in spite of previously stated warnings that there were divers in the area. These divers are also someone else's son, husband, or father.

There are many alternatives and initiatives by many NGOs to bring about change to these coastal communities. There are instances where CBCRM (Community-Based Coastal Resource Management) has worked such as Apo is. and Olango is. has worked to increase the revenues of a community, and not just an individual fisherman who would utilize such as selfish act. Maybe if they realize that the very act of using dynamite threatens the long-term supply of fish that they rely on, then they'll think differently about it. It all boils down to dissemination of information, and to a major degree a firm dose of DISCIPLINE.

Dynamite Fishing is Illegal and Bad.

Being Happy that someone maimed themselves is sick.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Often when I am diving I hear dynamite, it scares the crap out of me every time.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I have generally found people to be much larger assholes on-line than in person. I hope that's true in your case.

I don't know many people who would really be that crass or cruel in real life.

My brother in law thought himself lucky when we were younger, when he got a chance to work for a local character who made his living blasting for construction and demolition. I heard this fellow was a heck of an odd character, and a great story teller, although my brother in law quickly decided working for him carried way too much risk.

One of the fellow's stories involved him fishing a local lake with a close friend, who was also a N Y State Conservation Officer. He told Bob that after a day when they had caught nothing, he decided to pull a trick on his friend, and pulled some explosives from his tackle box, just to rile up his friend. After the En Con officer got real upset, and told him that he could not use the explosives, he lit the fuse, set the explosives in his friend's lap and said: "Are you gonna talk, or are you gonna Fish?"

Bob says you never really knew with this fellow just where the truth lay in his stories, and where the fabrication began, but after working for that guy for one summer Bob decided there may have been some truth to his story.

Bob could never understand how such a wild, accident prone blaster could have lived to be as old as he was, but Bob quickly figured out that if he continued to work for the fellow, HIS life expectancy was seriously at risk of being shortened, considerably.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom