EAN/NITROX Dive and Macular Edema

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveLvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
4 months ago I had cataract surgery and now being told I have macular edema in both eyes (swelling/fluid) likely caused by the trauma of the cataract surgery. I am planning a 130’ dive using EAN 28 and then 30. Is there any affects a dive this deep and w/EAN I should be wary of? I am also a type 2 diabetic with controlled blood sugar. I’m 66 yo M diving for 40+ years.

4 months ago I had cataract surgery and now being told I have macular edema in both eyes (swelling/fluid) likely caused by the trauma of the cataract surgery. I am planning a 130’ dive using EAN 28 and then 30. Is there any affects a dive this deep and w/EAN I should be wary of? I am also a type 2 diabetic with controlled blood sugar. I’m 66 yo M diving for 40+ years.
The biggest concern would be the potential for face mask barotrauma, which could aggravate the condition. The only thing EAN-specific that I can think of is that of the symptoms of O2 toxicity is blurred vision, which could be masked by your condition. Recommend you discuss the specifics of your case with your eye surgeon.

Best regards,
DDM

I don't know of any published documents pertaining to diving and Irvine-Gass syndrome. Same for EAN use. As always, check the safety boxes by contacting your treating ophthalmologist and DAN, but I would expect somewhat vague answers going along the lines of 'remember to equalize pressure in mask to avoid facial barotrauma' and '... we're unsure of full physiological effects of enriched oxygen on macular edema, so do at your own risk."

- Optometrist.

I have provided nothing but sound, reliable medical advice from respected and trusted sources.

I'm sorry if it's not something you care to hear about and you feel it's deteacting from the conversation.
It is detracting from the conversation. The original post was about macular edema, which is a known complication of cataract surgery, as both you the OP described. It's also a complication of diabetes with poorly controlled blood sugar, and the OP specifically said that his glucose is under control.

The relationship between high BMI and type II DM is well-described and perhaps that is a factor here as well but we don't know. For instance, I'm 6 feet tall, weigh <185 lbs, work out regularly, and according to my labs I'm a borderline pre-diabetic. I do agree that the OP would be well-advised to work on controllable risk factors, but that wasn't the question, and forcing the issue has derailed the conversation. Please keep it on topic.

Best regards,
DDM

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread has had a major clean up. We encourage all members to read the Special Rules for posting in this subforum and remind all members to stick to the topic and use the report function rather than enter into arguments.

Any further argumentative or off topic posts may result in a subforum ban.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom