EAN32 fill require O2 clean tank or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Email to and from PSI inc.

I have a question regarding the use of Eddy current testing on scuba tanks currently in circulation. I am well aware that the 6351 tanks are susceptible to SLC, and doing an eddy every year during the vis is commonplace. My question really regards the 6061 tanks and the standard for inspecting them. Currently I use the Visual plus 3 device on all aluminum tanks when I conduct visual inspections. I know Luxfer approves this device for inspection of 6061 cylinders, but why? There has never been a SLC in a
6061 cylinder right? Is performing eddy current testing on 6061 cylinders even warranted?

Respectfully,
Tom

Tom,
Good question

Answer the use of eddy current instruments on 6061 is NOT REQUIRED but a helpful tool used on a case by case basis for cylinders that have folds that appear to be cracks to determine their length per CGA document C6.1 section
5.8.2 for condemnation criteria / return to service. All manufactures will warranty a 6061 cylinder with folds that meet the "more than one continues thread" condemnation criteria.

I use it case by case so I don't waste time....you are correct 6061 does not sustained load crack!

Regards and thanks for doing you best inspecting cylinders, YOU are making a difference.

Regards,

Mark A. Gresham
PSI / PCI, Inc.

Back
Top Bottom