Ear aches and nose bleeds from diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Thinking about getting in to diving but have read about ear problems and nose bleeds from it. Also have a family member who had to give it up or he would have lost his hearing. Question: Is there a certain type of person who shouldn't dive like people with sinus problems or who get ear aches often, or is it a do it and see what happens after you spend a lot of money kinda thing?
I have snorkled down to 12 - 15ft and as I remember my ears were kinda hurting, should I stay away from diving?

An ENT physician familiar with diving should be able to evaluate your chances of having those problems before you get a toe wet. You can do things while diving that will screw up your body, that's why you have classes so you learn not to do those things :wink:

Phil

These often are branches of the same tree.

If your ears hurt after every weather front passes or you take a flight to anywhere you probably shoudl stay on the beach. Same thing with headaches under similar circumstances. Both of those symptoms are a sign of beng unable to equilize the air chambers in your head.

If those symptoms do not happen for you you can probably learn to dive.

Equalization on demand is a very important part of diving, but it is also a learned thing.

BTW if you can't equalize ANY chamber in your head you are in for a life of sinus infection misery even if you don't dive. See your ENT and get that evaluated and fixed!

FT

I used to get ear infections all the time & a Dr. once advised me to get tubes in my ears. I have them very rarely since I have started diving. I got a nosebleed once upon surfacing in particualrly cold water, but that was a long time ago. Deafness? I have heard that diving a LOT in very cold water can start to callous the eardrums(???) and many instructors I know who dive year round in cold environments are a little hard of hearing. If you want to try this, rent the gear & see if it is your thing before you spend a lot. Everyone who takes up this sport runs the risk of buying lots of stuff then having to stop because they got pregnant, developed non-diving realted illnesses, broke bones, etc & then has to sell the gear. But if you try it & like it, the money you spend will be a great investment!:wink:

I've had a couple of ear infections but nothing serious. Now I take the precaution of washing my ears out with clean water immediately after the dive. Seems to have done the trick so far.

hmm Is there a lot of divers who become deaf from diving? Most of the time I hear cases where they lose a little bit of hearing but becoming deaf because of diving is horrible. It is a risk that most people won't take.

Jimmy

MichiganMadDog asked...
Thinking about getting in to diving but have read about ear problems and nose bleeds from it. Also have a family member who had to give it up or he would have lost his hearing. Question: Is there a certain type of person who shouldn't dive like people with sinus problems or who get ear aches often, or is it a do it and see what happens after you spend a lot of money kinda thing?
I have snorkled down to 12 - 15ft and as I remember my ears were kinda hurting, should I stay away from diving?

Howdy MichiganMadDog:

Bottom line is people who can't clear their airspaces in their ears or sinuses should not dive. Some people naturally clear easily. Most can learn to clear their airspaces with practice. Some can clear with medical help for problems that interfere with clearing. A few will never be able to equalize their airspaces and won't be able to dive.

Yes, you can spend a lot of money on gear and training and find out that diving's not for you. But a minor ear problem with snorkeling does not necessarily rule out scuba diving.

HTH,

Bill

The above information is intended for discussion purposes only and is not meant as specific medical advice for any individual.

MichiganMaddog

I believe you will find that if you're prone to ear aches, and or infections, this may not be for you. You stated that you snorkle to 15 ft. and your ears kinda hurt. I would say that's typical when you don't have the air, or training, to clear your ears propperly. The first 10 ft. is the greatest atmospheric change any way. I would assume your mask was squeezing in towards your face as well? I'm sure if you knew someone who would let you try scuba in a controled environment your conserns could be explored. it's alot of fun, good luck!
Wreck/Tec

Yes, the mask was squeezing in big time at 15 ft. - this was back in the day (1970's) when all you could buy was these big volume masks.
Mine was cool though, it was a three lens mask for better vision on the sides! Well, once again, thanks for all who responded to my concerns and I must say, I feel better about it now.

well let me tell ya...everything everyone mentioned is good advice. In my opinion, just because you can't equalize while snorkeling is not as big a deal as you may think. I have the worse time equalizing while snorkeling...or free diving...just can't do it for some reason, but when I'm breathing from a tank, I have no problems.

Here's another one for you...if you do have sinus problems? Get it checked and then don't dive if your not feeling 100%. I have the worse sinus's (and I admit they gotten worse since I started diving) but after a checkup from my dr....he prescribed a steroid nasal spray...which I take several days before and after my dive...that combined w/ some sinutab keeps me clear. I remember one time before when I went on a trip to do a wreck dive, drove 6 hrs to get there and didn't feel great ( was recovering from a cold) well me being stubborn me decided w/ some dristan I'd be alright and chance it...well wouldn't you know I forgot my dristan on the dock and man did I regret it. I had trouble equalizing on my second dive of the day, and on the trip home I was showing symptoms of minor DCS...headaches, ringing in the ears, nausea....I'll never do that again...and if you do take up the sport...learn from me...don't dive unless your 100%!!

Back
Top Bottom