Blocked Ear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone, I’m new to diving (~30 dives) and for the first time I’m experiencing problems with one of my ears. Almost 2 weeks ago I went diving at ~30m and had difficulty equalizing my ears however always managed to clear them. When I came up from the 2nd dive both ears became immediately blocked with a lot of discomfort. I didn’t do my 3rd dive to be safe. Now, 2 weeks later one ear (the left) is completely normal but the other one (right) still feels blocked. There is no pain, no liquid that comes out, and I can’t hear that well in that ear (maybe about 30% hearing loss). I’m able to equalize both ears when I block my nose and blow but that right ear still always feels blocked despite many efforts to try and clear it (rotating head side to side, shaking my head, etc). So my question is, is it safe to continue diving at this point? I’m currently in the Philippines and I’m only hear to dive so it’s frustrating going through this and I’m looking for any advice or suggestions. Thank you so much everyone!

You will likely get a LOT of responses here. The BEST action for you to take is to go see a doctor....preferably an Ear, Nose, Throat doctor.

You will likely get a LOT of responses here. The BEST action for you to take is to go see a doctor....preferably an Ear, Nose, Throat doctor.
I was afraid of that 😂 Okay thank you I appreciate you replying to this

If there is no pain and you are able to equalize it may be as simple as wax. But it does need checked. Not sure what the medical options are for the Philippines but find someone that can take a look and hopefully take care of the cause.

If there is no pain and you are able to equalize it may be as simple as wax. But it does need checked. Not sure what the medical options are for the Philippines but find someone that can take a look and hopefully take care of the cause.
Okay! Thank you :) I’m looking for a clinic I can go to

Hi everyone, I’m new to diving (~30 dives) and for the first time I’m experiencing problems with one of my ears. Almost 2 weeks ago I went diving at ~30m and had difficulty equalizing my ears however always managed to clear them. When I came up from the 2nd dive both ears became immediately blocked with a lot of discomfort. I didn’t do my 3rd dive to be safe. Now, 2 weeks later one ear (the left) is completely normal but the other one (right) still feels blocked. There is no pain, no liquid that comes out, and I can’t hear that well in that ear (maybe about 30% hearing loss). I’m able to equalize both ears when I block my nose and blow but that right ear still always feels blocked despite many efforts to try and clear it (rotating head side to side, shaking my head, etc). So my question is, is it safe to continue diving at this point? I’m currently in the Philippines and I’m only hear to dive so it’s frustrating going through this and I’m looking for any advice or suggestions. Thank you so much everyone!
Hi @AlannaBananaB94 ,

Concur with @Capt Jim Wyatt , a good next step would be a timely evaluation by an ENT physician. Going only by the information you provided, a serious ear injury can't be ruled out although it's also possible that you just experienced middle ear barotrauma, which is the most common injury in diving. Did you force a Valsalva (pinch the nose and blow) maneuver at any point on your descent?

Going forward I'd recommend you consider aborting a dive on which you're having a lot of difficulty equalizing. Kudos for sitting out the third dive.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom