Ear infection and blocked ears over 2 weeks. How to relieve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The short answer is that it can take several weeks for the inflammation and effusion (fluid) to clear after otitis media (a middle ear infection). So the feeling of full ears for two weeks is not unusual.

Longer answer is that if these infections continue to reoccur, or the difficulty equalizing or ear pressure persists after 4-6 weeks, an ENT is the professional you need.

TLDR - DDM’s post for the win.
I"ve been suffering for 16 days from this and I was just thinking that should I travel to different island so I could visit proper ENT doctor. But I'm worried that doctors say the same than here, that my ears are looking just fine and I just have to wait.

I hear everyday little better. Like now when I do valsalva, my ears open for maybe 30 seconds. I couldn't even open these ears 2 weeks ago

So it's been +3 weeks now, and ears are still not 100% I visited different doctor week ago, and she said looked my ears with camera and said that they look good. Only mild barotrauma in my left ear.

I just wanna try diving soon, but don't know when is the right time. In 10 days I leave home, and next time I can dive in 8 months...

I can equalize but ears wont stay 100% open for long time. Maybe 70% or something. No pain

So it's been +3 weeks now, and ears are still not 100% I visited different doctor week ago, and she said looked my ears with camera and said that they look good. Only mild barotrauma in my left ear.

I just wanna try diving soon, but don't know when is the right time. In 10 days I leave home, and next time I can dive in 8 months...

I can equalize but ears wont stay 100% open for long time. Maybe 70% or something. No pain
I would strongly suggest you do not dive if you still feel your ears are not alright. Might cause another barotrauma or worse!

+1 on what @Scubagermany said.

Middle ear inflammation can be extremely slow to resolve. It could be 6-8 weeks before you feel completely normal again. That said, if you go through this every year, a visit to an ENT physician might help address the root cause.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom