Ear Equalizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brett

Reaction score
I have read up on many of the different kinds of ear equalizing techniques while diving. I have heard of free divers inhaling a small amount of water at the surface because it will equalize the pressure for them during their descent. Is this possible to do while diving?

I think you may be misinformed. I'm not aware of any freediver who inhales water at the surface to help with equalizing. I've heard a similar statement before and it's just not true.

Some freedivers do suck some water into their noses at the surface to help clear mucus. They immediately snort this water out. I don't recommend this, it hurts and may irritate the nose. I've only tried this once when my sinuses blocked and it didn't help. Using a saline solution of the proper concentration does help though.

Freedivers who seek to set extreme depth records (Pipin, etc.) in the unlimited category do something like you describe. When diving this deep (the record is over 500ft) on a single lung full of air you eventually run out of air for equalizing. They then remove their nose clips, and allow water into the nose to further compress the air and gain enough equalization for additional depth. This of course is of absolutely no value to anyone but a freediver at extreme depth. It won't help you equalize during scuba.

Good luck

Ralph

Hello,

Ralph is correct that the snorting of water to clear your ears in scuba is of no use.

In very deep freediving water is inhaled right into the ear to prevent the eustachian tubes being crushed by the high pressures. this is no use in scuba.

ears can be a real pain, check out the forum called
"Ear equalization" there is heaps of info in there.

The method of washing your sinus passages with water does work well for me, and dosen't hurt that much. but the best way is to use good technique, try not to have a cold and blow your nose out well before diving. as I mentioned before there is heaps of stuff in the other forum.

good luck,
Stonie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom