ear issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go to;
http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/
And watch the streaming video,
""The Diver's Ear - Under Pressure"
Scuba diving and snorkeling can be fun ways to explore the depths - especially if you can clear your ears as the pressure changes. In this video lecture Dr. Edmond Kay discusses techniques for preventing middle ear barotrauma. Learn what to do to equalize pressure in your ears, teach others proper techniques and learn the safest way to prevent "ear squeeze". This talk was recorded live in September, 2000 and is now available for Internet viewing over the University's video portal (broadband only)."

Thanks Joe! Looking forward to a weekend diving in the Keys at the end of the month.

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

peepspar5:
Hi from Ft. Lauderdale. I am a new diver! Certified just this weekend. My question is: after the open water dive on Sun. my left ear felt as if it was clogged (kind of like water in it, but not as bad) as the day progressed Sun. and all day Mon. and still today my ear has itched so bad inside and is tender. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. Seems strange to me. It is only the one ear. Any help you can give to this new diver would greatly be appreciated! Thanks again!

If the itching starts turning into pain, get to a doc asap. I've had a couple of nasty cases of swimmers ear, and it can hurt like hell and take close to a week to resolve with antibiotics if the infection really gets rolling. The pus and blood on pillowcases is gross, too.

I tried the "Ear Safari" recenty. It is a little device that has a cone shaped attachment similar to what doctors use to look in ears. It blows warm air into the ear canal to dry it and prevent infection. My verdict: save your money and go with something like alcohol/vinegar drops.

I also have trouble with one ear after my certification dive. It doesn't hurt at all, but feels like it has water in it. Everything from OUTSIDE sounds normal, but when I talk, it sounds muffled in that ear. I have been using alcohol with vinegar a couple times a day, and also diluted peroxide. No change, but at least it isn't worse. I figure I'll give it a couple days, and see a doc if it isn't at least improving.

I did equalize as soon as I got in the water, and frequently, but pretty quickly, I was having trouble with the left ear equalizing. I took it really slow, ascended a bit a couple times, and eventually made it down. I never had any pain, but it was much harder to get that left ear done! Then when I came up, it never felt cleared out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom