Ear problem! plz help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am an instructor, and do lots of diving. What I have found that helps me personally, AFTER a dive is to pour 50% alcohol in my ears. The alcohol combines with the water, reducing the surface tension, and lets it drain out of your ears.

When descending, it is crucial to clear early and OFTEN. This means the whole way down, folks. If you feel pressure that hurts, just ascend slightly (a few feet), then equalize and descend again. You need to do controlled descents. For you new divers, don't get frustrated if this is a problem at first. I would suggest descending on a fixed line, until you can to a very controlled free descent. Your instructor can set a buoy for you to descend on.

Also, make sure you have no ear wax. A way to clean it out (it's normal) is to take a bulb syringe and GENTLY flush out each ear with warm water, only. Do this repeatedly, and it will remove the natural wax buildup off your ear drum, which may be causing slow equalization. You should check with an ENT first, if you are having repeated problems.

Another method, on the ear that is having difficulty, is tilt your head away from the direction of the problem ear, and rub under the ear, down to the neck. This could help relieve any blockage. Lots of people take a Sudafed-type drug to help, but this should be at your own choosing.

Above all, do things slowly while descending, and do not wait until it's painfull. Simply go back up and try again (but NOT all the way to the surface, only a few feet).

Good luck!!

Well you came to the right place for help :)
I would guess that you have a little water in your ears. It will probably come out by it's self, but I would also suggest that you try some homemade ear dry. Make up a small batch of rubbing alcohol and white vinegar (50/50 mix). The alcohol will dry the water, and the vinegar will stop infection.
Hope this helps.

X2......... Steve beat me to this post but I agree wholeheartedly using this mixture. Good ol' Mom used to treat me and my sister with this while growing up and we were like fish, always swimming somewhere.... in a pool, pond, or river. :)

thanks for this technique, it works very well, I had trouble with one ear, it seems to work perfectly...!!:lotsalove:
Glad it worked! I've used this technique to get quite few people diving who have had trouble before. The great thing about clearing your ears, is the more you practice, the easier it is....my wife had problems when she first started and now she can rocket to the bottom right with me. Mike

Right before my OW I practiced and practiced equalizing my ears and clearing my mask in a pool...over and over. Not forcefully but constantly. (hundreds of time in just a few days) I just kept thinking I could refine the skills, and that practice would make perfect. All that practice did - - - was make my sinus and ears a sore mess. I was so sore and messed up that I couldnt even blow enough air to clear my mask. I had pain, couldnt swallow, a gland in my neck swoll up.

This was not caused by being too forcefull...IT WAS NOT FORCE....I use very little force when equalizing my ears and clearing my mask....it was the constant practicing and practicing. Excessive practice caused my ears and sinus problems.

I had to postpone my OW. I wondered if my ears would ever get well enough to scuba. I wondered how my ears would do next time. Well, I let everything heal. I went to the Dr. took 3 rounds of antibiotics. It took me a month, but I finally healed.

When I tried again, I did NOT practice, I just went to class and did the skills when requested. I had no problems...none. I equalized when I needed, and could blow and clear my mask easily. (although I still have problems clearing with a snorkel, but I can do it easily with a regulator)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom