Early signs of Panic and prevention

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good points about the rescue course. Yes, my open water course did cover panic, my instructors were non-extinct dinosaurs.. in that they were doing it when J-Valves were common, SPG;'s weren't and have grown with the technology. Each was very insightful and had a clear and understandable answer to every question. Neither of the two main instructors were impatient, and they all had a very calming way in dealing with issues that arose. I had the impression that the Stress and Rescue was something akin to a Dive Master, and should only be attempted after having serious skills.. No one told this too me, I just gathered that based on the Feel for the course.. I will probably give it a try sooner. I am always looking for ways to improve my skills.

I am going to be up in the Puget sound area doing shore dives.. Can't wait! My dive buddy is a little nervous and I am concerned for his mental health(home problems), This will be his first "Non supervised" dive and I am thinking of asking him to lead so that I can watch him. Also so that he can move at his own pace.

wetvet once bubbled...
One of the best ways you can help relieve a panicky situation is to have a clear "stop" sign. Make sure your buddy is clear on this sign before the dive. If you notice some/any of the signs noted above, "stop" the diver. If you can stop the mental cycle that spirals into panic, usually whatever problem is there can be solved. When I've been with nervous students, and they get jerky and big-eyed, I will signal them to stop.....usually 2 or 3 times. Then ask them a question they can answer easily....."whats your pressure", etc. and then signal OK. They will often respond by describing their problem, which is usually minor. By giving them a task the can easily do, it gets the problem out of their mind.
Of course, sometimes you are too late, or they're too worked up to "fix".

Wetvet

Well said. One might also consider avoiding stressful dive environments. Low vis, heavy current, cold water, dark, night, cave might be better left to those who have the experience and stamina to tackle them. Dive your limits!

Windwalker once bubbled...
This will be his first "Non supervised" dive and I am thinking of asking him to lead so that I can watch him. Also so that he can move at his own pace.

Don't let him lead and you follow. Dive side by side. If you follow you can't stop, and if you get snagged you will be watching him dissapear in to the vis wity youbeing stuck.

Problem with Diving in the PNW, all most every dive is a Cold water, Low visibility dive. my guess is where we are going to be its going to be 48-50f at 60-70 feet. I usually always side by side dive with my buddy, Usually the one on the left leads. I guess, when I get out there, we shall see how he feels. If he does not feel up to diving, or is uncomfy at all, I will ask someone else if they would like to dive with me. He is pretty smart and not into Machismo or anything.. if things are not right for him, he has enough common sense to not do it. As far as my friend goes, I will call it as I see it and try to prevent what I can, and deal with the things I can't. I have never had an accident under water, and I never intend to.

25 to 50 dives and you are probably ready for the rescue course. No need to wait longer so I'm "thirding" the motion. Also I agree that you should NOT let your buddy lead the dive with you following. IMHO, you should lead the dive and the two of you should dive side by side and at the same depth. This makes buddy contact much easier for both of you.

Also, I would consider doing a shallower dive then 60 or 70 feet. Granted you may be comfortable with the conditions and viz but it might be better for your less experienced buddy to get initiated more slowly i.e how about a 20 to 30 foot max depth or 30 to 40 feet?

I think knowledge is a fine thing and taking the course is good info to have.

I have also heard that if a diver starts looking up at the surface a lot (as in often) then they are "thinking" about bolting to the surface and are in a near panic. All the other symptoms described will most likely be there. I am slso told a good hug can help calm a diver. But I don't know.

Good luck.

I had a case of anxiety related to the 'perceived danger' they talk about in the PADI rescue manual. If there is perceived hazard, the panic/anxiety builds up so much before the dive that if there is even a slight instance of this particular 'hazard' underwater it can result in immediate and seemingly inexplicable panic.

I would describe my episode more as major anxiety rather than panic, but it was could have been panic if I'd been less experienced.
I was in Indonesia and during initial dives, had noticed that currents are an issue there. I had some dives where we completely avoided the current and that was ok. Over a few weeks though, I became anxious about them mainly because I wasn't as fit as I usually am, and hadn't had much experience in currents, and in my own mind I gradually convinced myself that i couldn't cope in a current.

Then, during one dive a slight current blew up unexpectedly. Just a little current. Well I was terrified. I had to grab onto a rock and no matter how I tried I could NOT control my breathing. I moved behind a rock for shelter and consciously tried to calm myself and rest. No use. Couldn't control my breathing even though I was able to think and act reasonably ok. I wrote on the slate - my breathing is out of control and handed it to my buddy. The exact minute I shared that with her I was able to calm down.

Some interesting stories posted here.

My take on it...

As land dwelling air breathing mamals none of the instincts we're born with are any good at all to us underwater. Once that fight/flight reflex kicks in we're done. These instincts must be replaced by new learned behaviors.

IMO, avoiding panic is a matter of having solid basic skills and having confidence in them combined with overlearned emergency management skills and being comfortable in the environment you're diving in. That's why a diver shouldn't go too far too fast. If you're uncomfortable you're that much closer to panic to start with. If you combine that situation with poor skills and/or a lack of confidence you're pushing your luck.

I have had one of those anxiety attacks too..
I was diving off a boat on the Great barrier Reef by Cairns Australia, I was diving amongst the coral, and did not notice the tide start to go out. This was a "tryout" dive and the water was no deeper then 20 feet. (I had no cert then) - problem #1

(problem#2/3/4/5....6)
I had no buddy and was diving by myself (bad Windwalker--no O2 for you)

I was swimming among canyons in the reef.. No problem here.. just no touchy touchy..

(problem #7)
I was not paying attention to the ocean and the tide started to go out. (Bad Llama)

At the time I was feeling exposed, alone, and in trouble because there was a little current, and I could not see any fellow divers... (problem #8) so I started to try and go back to the dive boat. This is where problem #9 happened.

I thought I was trapped in a depression with no other way out then to walk on the coral. (which I didn't)

It took me a ... I don't know how long(5 minutes?).. to figure out how to get out of the trouble I was in. I figured a way out, and back to the dive boat.
I think what kept me from panicking was;
confidence in my skills, Knowlege that if I didn't come back soon, someone was going to come looking for me (unbeknownst to me, I was pretty close to the dive boat and they were watching me), and I am not prone to panic..

I've not yet had a panic event underwater personally, but I have been heavily stressed (ie I was able to think through situations and execute actions calmly, but with that loud bedlam in the mental background telling me to get out ASAP). What helps me the most to stay in control was that the actions I was performing were well practiced, and I KNEW that those actions performed correctly would bring me to safety, barring additional catostrophic equipment failure.

I was with someone who was in post-dive analysis fairly narced and started to panic when he got his fin strap hung up on a piece of wreck. What appears to have helped relax him is that the third member of the team I were calm and able to get him free quickly once we figured out what was going on and our vision returned. Once he was freed, assuming the reel, ASAP proceeding to performing familiar and practiced actions of calling the dive and doing a controlled ascent on a lift bag, third partner on top, stressed diver in the middle, me on the bottom to insure against any bouyency/depth control issues.

Back
Top Bottom