Earnings of instructors worldwide: references

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

back to topic, IME:

Egypt in 2009/2010- 1000+ euro/month, minus all expenses, real earnings 300/month. If you're a couple your expenses are much less due to apartment costs.

SE Asia US$ 500-800. Minimal expenses but plenty of opportunites to spend on stupidity. Real earnings, $ minus $300-250/month.

NZ US$1500/month, minus all expenses. Real earnings $150-200/month.

Maldives US$1200/month. No expenses to speak of, unless you have a thirst.

Djibouti: 1000 euro/month. Many expenses, real earnings of 100 euro/month.

Numbers! :)

Thanks for sharing. Yeah, it seems that the industry's low salaries is a worldwide phenomenon...

---------- Post added February 18th, 2013 at 09:56 PM ----------

I'll add what I know.

Cyprus: E1200/month, minus all expenses. Real earnings E200-300/month.

Malta: E1200/month, minus all expenses. Real earnings E100-200/month.

Rome/Italy: E3,000/month, bloody expensive. Real earnings E500/month.

All of these expenses do not factor in transportation. If you want a motorino (scooter in the US) you pretty much loose all earnings.

Ditto, my previous comment.

Rome's numbers stand out. Are instructors more valued there, the cost of living in the city is too high, or what?

Unlike most EU countries Italy does not have a statutory minimum wage. Debatable for how long such countries can maintain this position as the European Commission is pushing them to set one. Instead wage levels in Italy are set by collective bargaining. However I doubt there is a union representing scuba instructors! Wage levels usually mirror the prevailing economy. Italian economy is currently sluggish with significant unemployment but in no way are they in a mess like the so called PIGS- Portugal, Ireland, Greece and Spain.
Of the other countries mentioned, Egypt sets a minimum wage for public sector workers only. This is a pittance and I doubt it is enforced. Egypt is basically an out of control tinpot state that cannot collect taxes.
Cyprus is bankrupt and was recently bailed out by the EU. Prompted by the Germans it is considering raiding the bank accounts of ex pats and rich residents. Russia has a heavy influence in both Egypt and Cyprus. Russia is another corrupt state with its own mafia and also fails to collect taxes properly

caribean liverboard $300-600 per week plus tips upto $1000 (usually $500ish) per week no accom,food,elec,water,internet transport costs BUT LONG HOURS!!!!!!
very steep learning curve you end up doing everything photos video bed making toilet cleanning EVERYTHING!!!!!

Cyprus: E1200/month, minus all expenses. Real earnings E200-300/month.
In my experience, it's more like €500 to €1000/month, or even asia style commision only(I've worked both €1000/month with no commision, and commision only, both cases had lodging provided), but lodging is often provided. Real earnings can be anything from €100 to €600(depending on paygrade and if lodging is included). Living costs are high, food is expensive and if the lodgings aren't included it's going to be at least €300/month rent.

caribean liverboard $300-600 per week plus tips upto $1000 (usually $500ish) per week no accom,food,elec,water,internet transport costs BUT LONG HOURS!!!!!!
very steep learning curve you end up doing everything photos video bed making toilet cleanning EVERYTHING!!!!!

And *that's* why you were making the big bucks! :wink:

Caribbean liveaboard is widely known as the best money in scuba. If you want more than that from diving, you go commercial, surface supplied(such as the insane and risky business of dredging for gold in alaska or for diamonds in southafrica, or underwater repairs for oilrigs).

Back
Top Bottom