Ears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Mpscubatoytech

Mpscubatoytech

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have tryed to email DAN my qustions but keep getting errors that it cant be submited.

My son's ENT is not fomilrer with diving. My son has had 15 ear infutions in the past year and most of the time still has fluid as well. The ENT told us the only fix is Tympanostomy tubes. Right now my son is 7 but has high hopes to become a diver when he is 10. Is there a diffrent treatment that wont put a hole in the ear drum? Are there lone turm problems after the tubes are removed with diving? Will he have problems with ruptures of the drum because it is weeken?

I have tryed to email DAN my qustions but keep getting errors that it cant be submited.

My son's ENT is not fomilrer with diving. My son has had 15 ear infutions in the past year and most of the time still has fluid as well. The ENT told us the only fix is Tympanostomy tubes. Right now my son is 7 but has high hopes to become a diver when he is 10. Is there a diffrent treatment that wont put a hole in the ear drum? Are there lone turm problems after the tubes are removed with diving? Will he have problems with ruptures of the drum because it is weeken?
At his age, tympanostomy tubes may be the only option. Depending on the circumstances, when the tubes are removed, the ENT who removes them can place a paper-like matrix over the hole to provide a base for the tissue to grow into and cover it. Once the tympanic membrane heals he will likely be at slightly higher risk of rupture and will need to be very mindful of his equalization, but again that's very individual. When the time comes to assess his fitness for diving, I'd recommend seeking out a physician who is trained and experienced in evaluating divers; that physician may be able to provide a recommendation for an ENT who is familiar with diving.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom