Shallow water ear rupture

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My son, 16, was taking his first dive lesson. The pool is max 12 feet and he didn't even go all the way down. On the swim test he does a skin dive to about 8 feet and said he felt something "pop" followed by minor pain. He then went on to try and defend on SCUBA to the bottom but said he was dizzy and told me about his ear so we told the instructor that he wouldn't be finishing that night. Pain got worse, much worse and so I took him to the doc who tells me he has a small, almost perfectly round rupture in his ear drum.
I am no expert in dive medicine, or even normal medicine. Can barely play doctor with competence. I am just posting because I have never heard of someone getting injured on such a shallow dive and to see if this might be some indication of not being able to dive in the future (future being next spring).

Thanks

The greatest change in pressure occurs in shallow water. Yes, it is possible to rupture an eardrum in shallow water. It is also possible to get AGE from taking a hit off a regulator, holding your breath, and standing up in a swimming pool. So bad things can certainly happen in shallow water. By the time I'm at 8' I've already equalized several times.

I hope that your son's ear heals up quickly and nicely. I'm not a doctor, but if it heals well and he learns to equalize properly, he can probably be cleared to dive in the future. It'll be at least a couple of months though.

I've ruptured an ear drum diving in very shallow water, during descent on a plane, jumping off a boat and sneezing. The tissue was significantly weakened through multiple ear infections and surgeries as a child. Fortunately, I have a new ear drum now. Just posting to make the point that it might not take much to cause a rupture and as Outbound points out, the greatest pressures changes occur in shallow water.

Yep. Been there...... Easy to pop them and easy to heal bar infections. Diving since 83 I've blown 3 drums. Used paper patches emplaced by navy doctors to speed healing each time with antibiotics. Don't rush the healing before diving again. Even sinus ruptures can happen in shallow water ie surf zone and you may not even notice until after your out of the water.
Good luck

What does this mean? An implant or what?

During a tympanoplasty, the eardrum is lifted up like a trap door and the material used to repair the hole (called a tympanic membrane graft) is slipped behind the eardrum. Then the eardrum is put back where it started and the hole is patched from behind.

Voila new ear drum!

During a tympanoplasty, the eardrum is lifted up like a trap door and the material used to repair the hole (called a tympanic membrane graft) is slipped behind the eardrum. Then the eardrum is put back where it started and the hole is patched from behind.

Voila new ear drum!
Thank you tridacna. Well explained.

My wife punctured her drum April 2022 in 10-15 feet of water. It took her until July before she could submerge without discomfort. Make sure your son understands that he needs to let it heal fully before continuing AND to listen to his body when he gets back into it. He can test his healing progress with simple snorkeling to see if he can go under and clear without pain or discomfort. Once that is attained then he may be able to dive again.

The greatest change in pressure occurs in shallow water.

the greatest pressures changes occur in shallow water.
I think what is meant is that the greatest percentage changes occur in shallow water. Descending 1m gives 0.1 Atmosphere pressure change....no matter what depth you are at. But descending 1m from the surface gives a 0.1/1.0 = 10% change, whereas descending 1m from 10m gives a 0.1/2.0 = 5% change.

I've ruptured my ear drum from not equalizing too; stupid newbie mistake....thought I could tough out a little pain. Wrong.

What does this mean? An implant or what?

Voila new ear drum!

I think that explains it. I was very lucky as I was a junior doctor at the time and had good contacts. The ENT surgeon was happy to do the surgery for lifestyle reasons (i.e. diving). Not all will, especially in a public health service. I professed my desire for ear drum strength over hearing. He agreed and did a cartilage graft. This was in 2010 and many hundred dives ago. Zero issues since that time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom