Easily-donned booties for thick thermal socks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

magikarp

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a pair of Whites MK3 socks that I've been using with a (rental) Whites Fusion Sport drysuit. I really like the MK3 socks. They're comfortable and keep my feet toasty but they're a bit on the bulky side. I've been having trouble finding boots that are easy (or easy-ish) to pull on over the drysuit feet and the socks.

I like the flexibility and lower profile of neoprene booties over rock boots. However, the ones I've tried—with the thermal socks on—have felt crammed and I've had a really hard time pulling the bootie zippers up. Does anyone have any bootie recommendations?

The older style attatched rubber boots that whites used (aqua-pro and pro-flex suits) were excellent for larger undergarment booties (I still have a set). If you like the wetsuit boots then it's a game of trying to find the right size for your set up. I know northeastscubasupply.com has a big selection and some cheap close out prices. If doing up the zipper is a challenge look into the zipper less ones, we use those for people that have large ankles and difficulties with the zips.

I have a Fusion and have been using Chuck Taylor high tops. Good traction, lots of color options, nice fit to my fins, and best of all cheap!

Whites makes their own drysuit boot that is supposed to be pretty nice. To me warmth is important, so having thick socks and thinsulate booties is important. Plus I can tell the difference if I don't have a pair of thick socks on as my XL Jets don't fit tight enough.

decompression: Thanks for the heads-up on northeastscubasupply.com. I've got that site bookmarked now. The closeout prices there are pretty amazing!

Peter_C: I've seen the Chuck Taylors mentioned before, then completely forgot that was an option. Think I'll shop around for some after work. Thanks for the suggestion! Do the laces ever slip or untie, or do you end up replacing them with something else?

My buddies like to replace the laces with custom colored laces, but I doubt it is for function, although I never asked. Mine are the original laces. I leave the top two holes open which leaves plenty of extra lace that is double knotted. Never had one come loose underwater yet...

For my feet to fit into them properly I had to rip the insole out of the Chuck T's which was glued in pretty well. Fit is perfect, and for the cheap price I paid (Under $20), I am happy with them. Mine are worn out and due for replacement, and I keep thinking orange is the color to get, since I hate my black drysuit, black fins, black blah blah blah. I want bright colors so my buddies can see me underwater in poor vis conditions.

I replaced the laces with parachute cord. I think the parachute cord is easier to work with when wet. It's cheap anyway.

I have a whites fusion drysuit and I prefer to use a pair of neosport 3mm dive booties. They are only ankle-high so there is no need to worry about zippers. The booties should be one size larger than what you would wear with bare feet( However you can go 2 sizes bigger with thick socks). I wear a 9.5 in sneakers (Nike if matters) and would wear a size 10 when diving wet. These booties work great, they easily stretch, and best of all there are no laces to worry about in the water.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I decided to give the Chucks a shot. I tried some on with my Mk3 socks and was surprised by how comfortable they were. If it doesn't work out or the laces get annoying, then it's good to know a thin, stretchy pair of booties will work too.

I have only used wetsuit boots with my drysuit. Now, I only use thin dress socks under my fusion drysuit. I wondered why my feet weren't cold at 50F. The wetsuit boots have built in insulation which rockboots or sneakers do not, so you don't need heavy socks. With dress socks, fusion drysuit, then generic 5mm wetsuit boots, I am able to wear 12-13 size freedive fins which has lowered my SAC and enabled me to keep up with my freedive fin wearing buddy.:D

I'm using a very similar sock under my Fusion. I would strongly recommend these Gill Marine shoes: Gill Sailing Gear: Gill Performance Shoe - Black / Carbon

DG956B.jpg

They don't have any ankle support, and the sole isn't terribly thick, but they are VERY easy to get on, do not come off, and fit well into fins that you might have bought to use with wetsuit booties.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom