Eat mo' Lionfish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Despining Lionfish could become a new safety stop activity. The boat could attach a pair of shears to the hang bar. Perhaps a scaling board could be attached as well.

In a current or a bobbing hang bar, all bets would be off.

Despining Lionfish could become a new safety stop activity. The boat could attach a pair of shears to the hang bar. Perhaps a scaling board could be attached as well.

In a current or a bobbing hang bar, all bets would be off.

Now that is some good thinking. A good way to be productine during down time AND a way to help the local environment.

I like the part where they use the spines as toothpicks...that's brilliant!

The larger ones make a good size portion. In Lake Worth ( near Island of Palm Beach) there is a VERY high end Italian restaurant called Paridiso, who has prepared these Livornese style, and they taste so good regulars to this restuarant would be happy spending $30 or more for the dish.

If more high end restaurants pick up on this, there could be a pretty strong inducement to get divers active in taking lionfish....

This could also be an opportunity for certain SoCal divers.....you could invent your own LionFish BC....:wink:
Benefits:
  • spines/quills of BC slow uncontrolled ascents making diver safer
  • sharks are unlikely to eat you with this BC on
  • OOA divers would be unlikely to attempt to grab a reg from your mouth
  • video showing how fast a lionfish can move when it wants to--indicating the BC user might have speed bursts if needed :)

Regards,
DanV

I wonder if this joint in Florida would cook the fish for you if you were to show up for dinner with three or four of these suckers in your game bag?

Alas, no lionfish infestation in SoCal. Otherwise, the spiny BC does sound rather temping. After all, we do have great white sharks out here.

Deep frying or ceviche are 2 ways that are delish.

Doesn't everyone carry EMT shears to cut lionfish spines off?

Tasty on your plate, but outside of their native range, :koh:

I wonder if this joint in Florida would cook the fish for you if you were to show up for dinner with three or four of these suckers in your game bag?

Alas, no lionfish infestation in SoCal. Otherwise, the spiny BC does sound rather temping. After all, we do have great white sharks out here.
Actually, they will for me...as long as you know a restaurant, this is fairly easy to do.
You still pay a hefty price, but if you have enough extra, that could be mitigated :)
Dan

These Lionfish were killed on my dive trip to Belize in October.
The guy cleaning them actually got stuck by one of the spines as he was cleaning them. He wasn't too happy about that!

102_5417.jpg

102_5415.jpg

102_5414.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom