Economical way to get around St. Thomas and St. John USVI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fookisan

Reaction score
What is a good / safe / economical way to get around St. Thomas and St. John USVI?

Rent a car?

Rent a moped / scooter?

or is

Taxi and Bus the safest way?

Thanks,

Dan

We took taxi's most of the time. Our hotel package had free shuttle to/from the airport and rental cars were about $50/day (+/-) and after you drive there, you'll be a little cautious...

Every one there basically "drives crazy". They all drive on both sides of the road or in the center. Officially, you are supposed to drive on the left side of the road.

Every car there appears to have been wrecked or in a minor fender-bender. We saw the police working three wrecks just on our way from the airport.

So unless you need to ride around a lot, I'm betting it will take you $40 to $50 bucks a day to rent a car and you'll spend less than that on a taxi, plus you don't have to worry about parking it down town. I think a taxi from Red Hook to town was maybe $12 to $15. All taxi's are set prices.

One other thing about driving in St Thomas that I found funny, the horn is not a "warning device" as it is in the US, but a "communication device" in the islands.
The locals and taxi drivers honk their horns everywhere they go... as people pass,
they honk and honk at friends that are in yards, etc. It's pretty funny.

I'd use taxis on St. Thomas and rent a car on St. John. Roads on St. John can be a little hairy, but there's a lot of great scenery and places to see on the island. Even if it's only a day trip to St. John, I'd get the car and check out the whole island - not just stick to the north shore beaches.

Depends what you want to do, where you want to go and where you are staying. If it's diving everyday and limited site seeing then take the taxi as recommended in other posts and rent a car on the day you want to site see. For example if you are going to downtown St. Thomas to shop, parking is very limited (but can be found). If you want to get off the beaten track on St. John, some beautiful beaches in the far east end, then you'll need a car.

Also to Mike's note about the horn. if you see someone pulled over or driving and they seem to be waving you by them. Don't assume they are, be careful passing. As many times a hand out the window means just a hand out the window. And yes, the horn is used to say hello, usually two beeps.

Chris

As others have stated, I would recommend renting a car, but this depends upon where you are staying and what you are doing. It is cheaper if you rent a car from anywhere that is not at the airport. Be sure you schedule your rental in advance or you will most likely be out of luck when you get here.

We drive on the left side of the road... or the center... very seldom on the right. The roads on St. Thomas are narrow and hilly and the locals drive a bit crazy. You won't see cars without a few scrapes or dings, typically. I see accidents from time to time, but have never seen anything too bad. There really isn't a road on St. Thomas that you get get above 40 MPH for more than a few seconds.

An arm out the window is usually telling you to stop, not to pass. The law states that you are allowed to stop on the road "for a while" to talk, lime about, or whatever. This is one of the more annoying things that can happen to you... if you get road rage easily, let somebody else drive. Remember, don't plan on getting anywhere quickly... island life is slow, me son... if you try to speed it up, you will regret the wasted effort.

It is not uncommon to see accidents around the airport. These are usually tourists that forget which side of the road to drive on.

As others have stated, the horn is used to state "thank you" by a quick beep or two. A long blast is considered a rude, get outa the way and probably won't get you anywhere. When somebody stops to let you in traffic, you should reply with a quick beep. They will usually answer back the same way.

The drives, except for most taxis, are very polite and will tend to stop and let you out. You have to be a bit aggresive to let other drives know that if they do stop, you are going to butt your way in and get out their way quick. If you sit back, you will be waiting... forever.

All taxis are set price and easy to identify by the licence plate that reads "TAXI" on it. Don't take rides from anybody that doesn't have a taxi licence plate. The prices are fixed by the legislature and the taxi association.

You can also use the gypsy taxis... they drive all over the island. Stick out your index finger as one comes down the road to ask him to stop. Hope on board and take a tour. They will announce where they are going, downtown, redhook, havensight, etc as they loop around the island. When you are ready to get off, simply press the little doorbell button and the driver will stop. Five dollars a head, a bit slow and indirect, but cheapest by far. (Locals ride cheaper... but the drivers get upset if tourists try to only pay a buck or two...)

Gas here is not cheap. Right now we are paying around $2.80 (or more) a gallon. If you drive, be prepared to budget a bit more than you are used to paying in the states.

I would avoid those scooters like the plague. I have come closer to running over more tourists on scooters than all other driving mistakes combined. As a local driver, the scooters are extremly annoying.

(Hey Chris, how is state side life? Your signature is on my PADI Open Water Certification... I was in the last class you taught down here with CSDC before you moved back to the states. Small world... :) )

Rob, great advice, and even better to hear from you. I think I owe you an email response from probably a year ago! I'll PM you. would love to catch-up.

Saw your picture recently in the PADI Underwater Journal with Dan for the Divemaster class I think or assiting a rescue class? Have to look when I get home.

Stateside is ok, sometimes you have to go back to realize why you left in the first place. We're hoping to come back down, permantenly in a year or two. I've heard from Zan about your advancement from my OW student through to Divemaster, congratulations!

Chris

PS to keep this on thread. Be sure to wear your shirt and seat belt when driving! Yes that's shirt and seat belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom