Economics of self-inspectigating your tanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMyMyOHellYes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
At some point you reach a threshold where getting certified and doing your own tank 'spections more than pays for itself. Looking at my history in the PSI tool, I suspect I may have passed that point.

1709674721877.png

I've been looking at the virtual course options. Didn't realize there were virtual courses until recently. I have about ten personal cylinders and probably 20 for work so have been thinking about doing my own. Any reason not to take a virtual course vs. in person? I live in Guam, so any in person course would require some serious travel.

I did mine as a virtual course even though the instructor ( @akdeepdiver ) was only a hundred and fitty miles away.

I thought it a great couse in that remote format. Part of it is very much a hands-on course done via Teams or Zoom. You are under the direct observation of the instructor while doing inspections yourself. The only thing that might have worked better in person would be if an instructor had examples of tank wonkiness for you to see and experience firsthand. It is not a hard class, but it is very rich in core knowledge transfer. You'll likely leave it knowing more than you thought there was to know about tanks. I will look back at the course materials for reference a few times a year and ping akdeepdiver with other questions when they pop up (which he endorsed as part of the course).

You will need some rudimentary specialty tools for the class (and doing work in the field). Some you may already likely have, some you can source from a hardware store, some you can make on your own (like my magic 12 V light wand made from a 1/4" dowel and an LED strip light from amazon. Others have bought led light strips already made up on amazon that work off of a USB plug - I have a lot of 12 V stuff from my other nerdy radio hobby so that was where I gravitated to). PSI will sell you a "kit" but ask your potential instructor. I would expect shipping to Guam might take longer than shipping from Wichita Falls to Dallas.

I got and and spent a few hours doing a pre-read of the the materials. That gave me questions to ask in the class.

Tim,
I potentially have a class set up in two weeks on Guam time if you’re interested in joining it. Some employess of MDA scheduled it so they didn’t have to take a class at 1am that was scheduled on in the states. Email me at tanktest@gmail.com if interested, but would need to know pretty quick to get the student pack to you.
Myles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom