Edmund Fitzgerald

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LUBOLD8431:
BTW, I would skip the Master Diver, and just go from AOW and Rescue into a deco class. After that, go with Trimix.

Let's not get into that in this thread, eh?!

SubMariner:
Not unless you own a Newtsuit. That is the only way this wreck is "diveable", even if the ban on diving it were lifted.

No offense, BTW. Most people don't realize how far down that wreck is and what the waters are like in Superior.

Actually Mike Zee and Terrence Tysall dove it (just before they implemented the ban) on open circuit scuba. Their deco obligation was a few hours, from what I remember...

SubMariner:
Let's not get into that in this thread, eh?!

LOL...

LUBOLD8431:
Actually Mike Zee and Terrence Tysall dove it (just before they implemented the ban) on open circuit scuba. Their deco obligation was a few hours, from what I remember...

Holy Downtime, Batman!

Frankly, I'd call Phil for the Newtsuit. :wink:

Sorry I got a little heated there Lubold. My skin is getting a little thin after dealing with some local LDS people who gave me crap about wanting a BP/W setup, and then more crap when I told them I want to go tech when I'm skilled enough and didn't want to waste my time and money getting anything that wasn't good enough for deep diving. Fortunately, my regular shop isn't that way, but then they also don't carry in stock the gear I want so I've had to do some shopping around. And then on SB and TDS I get a very strong feeling that everyone forgets what it's like to be new and breaking into something like this. Didn't mean to come off like an ***. I just fired back before counting to ten.

Is a newtsuit a rebreather system? I'm not sure I'm going to be willing to invest in that setup, even long term. I would have thought that 530' was entirely doable on open circuit with tri-mix, or even heliox, and would just require a long hang time.

By the way, I'd be interested in finding out more about the guys who did dive the Fitzgerald on open circuit. What kind of plan they dove, and what mixes they took. Anyone know more about it?

There is a link somewhere on here to site that details their dive and the preps they took.

Rodale's has written a surprisingly nice article on extreme diving ("The hottest, coldest, longest, deepest and highest dives in the world"). One of their blurbs refers to the Edmund Fitzgerald dive by those two dudes. Personally I'm a fan of the lava divers.

http://www.scubadiving.com/article/0,7424,1-0-0-612,00.html

Wijbrandus:
By the way, I'd be interested in finding out more about the guys who did dive the Fitzgerald on open circuit. What kind of plan they dove, and what mixes they took. Anyone know more about it?

Terrence Tyrell talks about the Fitzgerald expedition...

Expedition level diving is heady stuff and often provokes strong emotions. Some of us find the siren call of wrecks like the Fitz nearly irresistable, while the thought scares the beejeepers out of others. At any rate, this topic can definitely raise temperatures as well as eyebrows. It might be helpful if we all remembered what we learned about handling high-stress situations underwater: stop (breathe) think (breathe) act. It works just as well on the surface as it does at 540 feet.

That is the link I was thinking of, I just couldn't remember where I had seen it. Thanks Reefraff

Wijbrandus:
And then on SB and TDS I get a very strong feeling that everyone forgets what it's like to be new and breaking into something like this.
The irony is that they do remember.

Back
Top Bottom